Macbook Pro charging problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbrown, Sep 30, 2012.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Hi All

2.66ghz Macbook Pro 2010 model i7

I was hoping someone may have an idea what is causing this problem.

It's not happening all the time - but every so often my MBP refuses to charge.

I have tried various chargers. I have thoroughly cleaning the contacts.
    I have tried seating the mag-plug, and also holding it on applying pressure to
    push it harder onto the computer.

The green light is on - but doesn't turn to orange.

The battery indicator on the menu bar shows the charging symbol, but on the
    drop down menu says 'It is not charging'.

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

A few things worth noting... while you can use any mag-safe adapter, the Macbook Pro will not charge properly if you use a Macbook (or lower-wattage) adapter. It will recognize the adapter and receive power from it, but depending on what you're doing, the battery will either charge very slowly or may discharge.

A second is that if the battery is around 95-97% charged, it may not charge further. The adapter light would remain green in that case.

Assuming you're not experiencing any of that, the two major suspects are your charger or your battery. Do you have another Macbook Pro charger that you can test with? How many cycles have you put your battery through?

3. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Thanks for getting back to me. :)

The chargers are the right power output for a Macbook Pro.

There is barely 1% charge left in the battery...but I think it's in OK condition ( i.e. - not too many cycles )

I've tried with two different chargers....

4. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Have you tried different outlets? I'm just wondering if maybe your power supply feeding the AC adapter has a problem and is underpowered. It seems unlikely, though.

Assuming there's no problem on the power supply end, tt sounds like an issue with the computer and/or the battery. If you want to try and parse it down farther, you could remove the bottom plate from the computer's casing and examine the battery for any signs of warping or swelling. However, even if you determine what it is, you'll probably want to go to Apple for a replacement. I'd suggest scheduling an appointment at your nearest Genius Bar and have them take a look.

5. praktical macrumors regular

praktical

MAcBook Pro charging problems

just out of curiosity. would charging from a ups make any difference in the charging effectiveness?

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It shouldn't, but if you're having issues it's worth removing it from the equation to narrow down the problem.

7. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

What is a UPS?

SMC reset seemes to have doen the job - great tip and it's what makes this forum on of the best. Thanks! :D:D:D

8. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Uninterruptible Power Supply. It's essentially a surge protector with a battery built in, so that disruptions in your electric line (whether black-outs or brown-outs) won't affect the amount of electricity flowing to devices plugged into the UPS.