MacBook Pro Charging question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Clark, Dec 27, 2013.

1. The Clark macrumors regular

The Clark

I got my rMBP a week ago, and since then I haven't let it run out of battery. I've heard this can damage the battery. Is this true? Should I let the battery drain or will it not make a difference anyway?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

FWIW I've been monitoring my battery pretty regularly since I got my new 13" rMBP. I use Coconut Battery to monitor it. I have 12 charges on my battery and it's capacity was listed as 6600mah but it would charge to about 6695mah. Yesterday for some reason it didn't go to sleep when I shut the lid and the battery completely drained. I plugged it in and let it charge to 100% and now my battery capacity is listed as 6850mah. So by letting it drain and charging it I gained a little bit of capacity according to the monitor. I'm sure what really happened was it calibrated when it drained and charged, it didn't physically increase the capacity of the battery at all.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks. Simply draining and recharging is not calibration.

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. The gradual decline is not in a straight line downward, and it may decline more rapidly at some times and slower at others. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the FAQ posted earlier.

5. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

I understand that, but I'm just saying what I have seen so far. Maximum capacity was listed at 6695mah before it got completely drained and now it is listed at 6850mah. Not sure why and I'm not really complaining either.

6. The Clark thread starter macrumors regular

The Clark

Thank you both for this information. In the meantime, I will just leave it plugged in.

7. abley22 macrumors member

I also have charger question.
    When i only use the macbook pro at home, could i just let the charger be connected all day and night when i not going to remove it from the desk before a week or so?

From it was new, i have use it only on the battery and charge it up and unplug the charger when it lights green. But i not going to move it before a week from now and if the charger could be connected for a week it will be fine to not check the battery % everyday. Or could it overcharge?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's fine to run with it plugged in for a week or more. You just shouldn't run plugged in all the time, as the battery needs regular use to stay healthy. No, it cannot overcharge, as it stops charging and runs on AC power when the battery is fully charged and you leave it plugged in. Read the Battery FAQ I posted earlier. It will answer this and other questions you may have about batteries and charging.