Macbook Pro - Cheapest in the World?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GoldMan, May 30, 2012.

1. GoldMan macrumors member

GoldMan

Hi. Where in the world is the Macbook Pro 17 inch cheapest? And at which price?

2. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

You can look at the different Apple Stores and see which has the lowest price. But keep in mind, taxes vary, as do import fees. It gets a bit complicated.

3. GoldMan thread starter macrumors member

GoldMan

I dont have tax problems here in Denmark as i can buy a laptop outside and use it in Denmark.

I think its cheapest in the US :) - How do people in China etc afford one when the daily pay basics is about 1 dollar a day! :confused:

4. huythanhv2 macrumors regular

By saving money in 10 years? ;)

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Those people don't buy MacBook pros. Also, there are many people in China that are well educated with high paying jobs.

6. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

Also note that the keyboard and outlets change from country to country. And also, be careful that you're getting the real deal -- I've run into some fishy deals on Amazon and Google Shopping.

However, I've always found this to be an invaluable resource: http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

7. colour, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012

colour macrumors regular

A few years back there was a vast jump in the AUS $ compared to the US $, there was a window of opportunity where you could buy apple products from america for 2/3 of the price of what you had to pay in Australia. You would save almost $1000 on a $3400 macpro.

8. colour macrumors regular

... I have no words for your ignorance.

"China has become its largest market after the U.S."

“It’s an area of enormous opportunity,” Cook said. “It has quickly become No. 2 on our list of top revenue countries, very, very quickly

refer to this article, China Becomes Apple’s Second-Largest Market As ‘Sky’s The Limit,’ CEO Says

9. Ccrew macrumors 68020

10. GeorgeN111 macrumors regular

I go on Holiday to America every year and I believe America is the cheapest place to buy a MacBook Pro. I just did the calculations for this year when I plan to buy the NEW MacBook Pro 15". I will be travelling around the West Coast, California, going into Utah and Nevada.

I worked out that I can get, based on current exchange rates.

15"MacBook Pro - Base Level - (Amazon shipped to one of the hotels I will be going to) Current Price $1679

Moshi Clear-Guard Keyboard Protector - $21

Moshi Palm-Guard $23

Speck See-Through Case - $34

Total - $1757 = 1,113 English Pounds - Thats a saving of around 500 pounds.

That is I believe the best saving I can get, also note I will not have to pay sales tax on this according to Amazon because it is going to be shipped to a hotel from Amazon in California.

11. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

Not counting the cost of going on holiday though eh. :D

Definitely a good idea if you intend to be going anyway.

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

He's also forgotten the cost of duties that he will forget to pay when he comes back to the UK.

13. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Straight from Foxconn (Chinese factory that produces MBP).
    Price is unknown.

14. soulniz, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012

soulniz macrumors member

The MBP's price in the US is quite low compared to the price in Denmark, keep in mind, however, that the US is not part of the European Union which means that if you import something from the US, you have to pay VAT, customs, and import fees.

15. Tritons macrumors 6502

C'mon it's not like they check if you have bought it in US or not.

16. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Supposed to pay, not have to pay. Most people don't and it's as easy as taking the laptop out of the box and setting it up before flying home. Then you treat it like you left your country with it to use on your vacation.

Also, while I haven't been to Denmark - my experience with customs when going to France is nonexistent. The booths are never manned and you just walk out of the airport without anyone asking you to pay any import fees for stuff you bring in. Every trip I've taken to Paris has been this way.

17. blazeken996 macrumors member

Hong Kong.

15 inch baseline MBP costs approximately 13788 HKD, which equates to 1776USD.

It's pretty expensive in mainland China...

18. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Malaysia MYR 6799 - $2143 walk out the door price high end 15" MBP 2.4 i7, for the lower speced model you are looking at $1733. If you get lucky with the exchange rate you can also make out, my own 2.4 i7 worked out at just a shade over $2K, and I picked up a 13" 256Gb 15 Air, :cool:

----------

Due to the fact that they are probably earning more than you ;) I have worked and lived in the PRC for close to a decade, dont think for one second that this is country of peasants. There is a very healthy middle class for whom the cost of a Mac presents no issue.....

19. blazeken996 macrumors member

Silly fool, MBPs aren't made at Foxconn. They're produced in Shanghai.

Foxconn produces iPhones and iPads...

20. soulniz macrumors member

I'm quite familiar with the method where you take the Mac out of the box, set it up like you bought it in your own country, and then take it through the booths.
    But that's not what I was talking about, I was talking about when you buy it from the online US Apple store and then have it shipped to your own country. That's when you're probably going to get in trouble with the customs, if you don't turn in the Mac yourself.

21. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

I have to disagree. My friend recently bought me a hi end refurbished 13" MBP (from Apple online store). He had it delivered to his home in the US and then took it on the plane to Europe (without the box, he kept in Tucano skin) and didn't had any problems. He didn't turn in on or anything. Just kept it in his hand luggage. From what I read on many forums before asking him to buy it you can bring a computer or a phone as a present if you're a US resident leaving the US - but maybe I'm wrong on that. Nevertheless I don't think that the customs gonna bother with 1 guy's laptop (especially if its in a bag or a second skin).

PS. I would highly recommend buying MBp in the US if anyone has the chance - the price difference between the US and EU is astounding.

22. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

I don't think it is possible, from what I understand Apple online store will only deliver to the address on the payment card.

Since US online store will only take US credit/debit card, it is not possible ship outside the US.

Even if you get somebody to ship it to you, UK custom will likely hold on to the mbp untill you pay the 20% custom duty + handling fee.

23. soulniz macrumors member

You didn't read what I wrote...

Exactly - but if you live within Europe and you buy the MBP from a European store, they won't charge you anything.

24. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Some stores will ship to other countries and most countries don't search all packages. So this situation would be a crap shoot and I would agree, not a good idea. I had this happen when sending a laptop to Brazil - customs got it and the plant I shipped it to had to pay the duty or whatever it is.

25. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Out of interest how are you going to get Amazon to ship to an address that doesn't match that of the payment method?