Macbook Pro Choice Dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sauron's Master, Jan 21, 2009.

?

What MBP should I get?

  1. 15"

    14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. 17"

    13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. 13.3"

    4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2002
    Location:
    Saratoga, CA / New York, NY
    #1
    Basically, I can either purchase a custom order 15" MBP with the 2.8GHz processor and receive it within the week or order the 17" with the 2.93GHz processor and receive it within 2-3 weeks (according to Apple.)

    Cost is irrelevant in this case. However, what's relevant is that my previous 17" MBP has died and I am currently attending university without a working laptop. Now, my school has excellent computer labs which can offer an (inconvenient) alternative to having a personal laptop in the short-term.

    Pros of ordering 15":
    +I get it now and don't have to suffer for two weeks.

    Pros of ordering 17"
    - I am a huge fan of bigger screen space and I'm used to the 1680x1050 resolution on the old 17" and would like to use that resolution or higher.
    - There's a marginal increase in processor speed and the GPU is likely to be less underclocked compared to the 15" as Apple has set this precedent in the past.
    - It's a better status symbol.

    Major issue is that it seems none of the 17" MBP have shipped yet; Fifth Ave. Apple Store doesn't have them in stock and my computer store told me their inventory wasn't even going to be in until last Feb. or early March. Therefore, there's a significant risk that the time may be more than two weeks.

    Anyway, please tell me which option you'd pick in my situation given my preferences and the pros listed here.
     
  2. tbae12 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2008
    #2
    For your preferences and pros go for the 17" MBP. If cost is REALLY irrelevant then get the 15" first so you'll a computer until the 17" comes in. That is, of course, if cost is REALLY irrelevant.
     
  3. Sauron's Master thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2002
    Location:
    Saratoga, CA / New York, NY
    #3
    Cost isn't relevant but efficiency still is. ;)
     
  4. nope7308 macrumors 65816

    nope7308

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2008
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
  5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #5
    If money is no object, how about buy a MacBook to use for a few weeks. Return it at the store and pay the 15% restock fee. Way to get a Mac for two weeks for less. More expensive than using your school's computer lab but definitely easier on the headache of not having a Mac.

    Definitely wait the two weeks for the new 17" MBP. I bet the start shipping by January 31st which is ten days from now. That's at the latest.
     
  6. Sauron's Master thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2002
    Location:
    Saratoga, CA / New York, NY
    #6
    Just to be an ass, that was exactly the point. ;) It's there for a reason.
     
  7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

    kastenbrust

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Location:
    North Korea
    #7
    Its called the Macbook. They CANT make a 13" Macbook Pro because where would the dual graphics cards, graphics cards heatsinks, masssive processor heatsink for your fast processor, processor fan, extra large battery, larger logic board chipset (extra USB, FW etc) all go?
     
  8. Sauron's Master thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2002
    Location:
    Saratoga, CA / New York, NY
    #8
    Are you incapable of intelligent thought? Oh wait, you were the guy who thought the current global economic situation was media hype.

    Stop contaminating my thread with your drivel; it has nothing to do with whether a 13" MBP is feasible or not.
     
  9. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2008
    #9
    I'd say get the 17" MBP, since you're used to the form-factor already + 1680x1050 res is indeed nice.

    Heck if money really is irrelevant, do what a previous poster said and get a 15" MBP unibody now (base model at the store in stock w/e) play with it/use it for 2-3weeks (if no more), and return it but pay the 15% restocking fee when the 17" arrives. Maybe after using the 15" for the 2-3weeks you'll realize you don't mind 1440x900 res and like the increased portability of a 15" better, and you may end up even canceling the 17" MBP order, lol.
     
  10. numbersyx macrumors 65816

    numbersyx

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2006
    #10
    Sounds like you really want the 17 inch. Wait for it and avoid the buyer's remorse a month from now...
     
  11. techster82 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2006
    #11
    Why not pick up a cheap netbook or used laptop off Craiglist in your area (get something easily resellable) and use it for the time being until the 17" Macbook Pro comes in.(since that is the one you really want) That gives you a computer to use in the meantime and you can dump it when the "beast" comes in.
     
  12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

    kastenbrust

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Location:
    North Korea
    #12
    Stop getting so aggressive, its not your thread its Macroumers. Its not feasable so thats why they dont have a 13" MBP, if it was, im fairly sure they would. However the fact your even asking whether you would like one suggests you want a computer with a lower footprint, but you also say your a fan of the 17" screen size so thats rather conflicting. Its like asking, Should i go on holiday to Texas because I enjoy skiing? I would personally go for the 17" MBP, we all know the Apple stores are getting the base model of the new 17" unibody in stock in on the 3rd Feb, so if you dont mind waiting just over a week then your going to get the 2nd most powerful portable computer Apple produces.
     
  13. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #14
    I agree with you about Kastenbrust's comments, fully. A 12" or 13.3" MBP is doable if Apple would only listen to customers! I think a lot of people WANT a smaller display but they NEED dedicated graphics; Apple is missing the mark here. The Pro vs Consumer line is a joke more than ever - right now it all comes down to display size offerings. The "Pro" isn't someone who always needs a 15.4" or 17" display. The Consumer isn't someone who always needs a 13" display only.

    But this whole point is sorta the opposite of your wants. You want a 17" display. Wait for it if that is what you want. You will have iLife 09 pre-installed on it instead of having to pay the $10 (and wait) to get up to date iLife 09.
     
  14. Sauron's Master thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2002
    Location:
    Saratoga, CA / New York, NY
    #15
    Yeah, Macrumors could do without your 40 posts a day of both inaccurate information and asinine commentary. You almost never know what you're talking about.

    And there was an option for a 13.3" MBP specifically so I could see how many people didn't even bother to read the topic at all and then voted anyway. In addition, it also weeds out people who couldn't see that it was there to fulfill my need to be amused by people's lack of reading comprehension.

    Moreover, companies don't make products necessarily because they are feasible but because products fit in with how they want to segment the market. It's as simple as that.

    Again, the point of the 13.3" option (in case some of you missed it) was to see who never bothered to read my post at all.

    Thank you to everyone who bothered to read the thread and provided feedback. I appreciate your contribution to my decision!
     
  15. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #16
    HA HA. That is so true...

    I just read over at AppleInsider.com that Apple is pushing back the shipments for the new 17" MBPs until end of February or later. I figured for sure that Apple had learned its lesson from recent in-ear headphones that it should give an accurate ship date from the start. Apparently, Apple was really reaching by revealing the new 17" MBP at MacWorld. Too bad, but I hope you find a way to hold out. I think the 17" MBP is an amazing Mac and worth the wait over a 15" MBP. Best wishes whichever way you go.
     
  16. pcwolff macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2009
    #17
    ^ I agree, you wouldn't want to buy the 15'' now just b/c you "need to buy something" and then wish you hadn't a little later
     
  17. zorahk macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2008
    Location:
    North Korea
    #18
    stopped reading there
     

Share This Page