Macbook pro choice. Please HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by icechunk, Mar 19, 2007.

  1. icechunk macrumors newbie

    Mar 19, 2007
    I have a 1.67 G4 Powerbook with 2gb ram which seems slooowww these days and I am thinking of upgrading to the macbook pro core 2 duo. I can't decide between the 2.16 and 2.33 models. I use some cpu intensive applications and I also have a 30 HD Cinema Display.
    I'm still leaning towards 2.16 for the following reason.

    1. I upgrade my laptops every 2 years or so and 2.16 makes upgrading easier later on
    2. Specs look almost the same. I will upgrade the ram after I purchase

    The price difference is pretty substantial IMO.

    What do you guys recomend I do?
  2. Emrtr4 macrumors regular

    Feb 6, 2006
    Dude, your powerbook is almost identical in specs to mine, just wait for Santa Rosa core in June and buy then (unless your laptop is broken). Honestly, it would be stupid on your part not to wait unless you absolutly need now-

    you get Robson flash memory (boots your laptop much faster, also imagine have 2 gigs of flash memory on your logic board that work to help your hardrive open up a program like Adobe.
    LED backlit display (most likely)
    4 gigs of Ram in your laptop
    200 gig 5400 RPM hardrives
    802.11 N wifi
    2.5ghz processor
    next OS is in your computer from the start


    If you buy a MBP now, it will be out of date and will be booting about 25 seconds slower than mine, have fun with that.
  3. Multimedia macrumors 603


    Jul 27, 2001
    Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
    Buying A MBP Now Is Not Advised By Anyone Here If You Don't Have To Now

    Dude Wait. June 11 SF WWDC SteveNote will usher in a whole new era of MacBook Pros. Especially if you want a model that you can be happy with for 3 or more years.
  4. alFR macrumors 68020

    Aug 10, 2006
    On the other hand, if you buy one now it won't magically stop working come June (or whenever the upgraded ones are released - given how long it took them to get the C2Ds into the MBP I wouldn't hold my breath for a June release).

    Mine boots in about 20-25 seconds anyway, I think I can live with that. :rolleyes:
  5. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

    Jiddick ExRex

    May 14, 2006
    Roskilde, DK
  6. icechunk thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 19, 2007
    Are these confirmed or just rumors?

  7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604


    May 28, 2005
    Just rumors. but the entire mac laptop line is going to be updated soon.. we're just not sure in what ways. I'd wait.
  8. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

    Oct 30, 2006
    since no one knows whats coming but apple, you should specify that it's only rumors, otherwise you are misleading people with your post.
  9. TheManOfSilver macrumors regular


    Oct 26, 2004
    I think the usual consensus is, buy now if you have to, but wait if you can. While nearing the territory of rumor, some things are absolutely certain from an upcoming laptop launch:
    • Santa Rosa platform with NAND flash on board and upgraded graphics (Intel is Apple's supplier, and this is their next platform, there'd be no reason not to use it)
    • Leopard pre-installed (why not save yourself $99)
    • Faster processors (they're not going to keep the same ones for over a year)
    • More memory (at least as an option)
    • Larger hard drives

    The things that are more in the realm of maybes:
    • LED-backlit displays
    • Hybrid hard drives
    • Built-in HSPDA/3G wireless
    • Multi-touch screens (converting from laptop to tablet)
    • Higher resolution displays
    • Blu-ray as option (outside chance on a portable, but you never know)

    Bottom line ... wait if you can. At worst you'll get the next OS, the next iLife, more memory, a bigger hard drive and a better graphics card.
  10. Zwhaler macrumors 604


    Jun 10, 2006
    Yeah that is just rumors... plus it is 2.4 not 2.5 Ghz.
  11. MaaseyRacer macrumors regular

    Oct 30, 2005
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Get the 2.33GHz, well worth it. If you are running a 30" you will have lag even with the 2.33GHz and its 256MB of VRAM. However, it is still much better than the 2.16GHz.

Share This Page