MacBook Pro, Cinema Display and Thunderbolt External Drives

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gymacscuba, Mar 11, 2011.

1. gymacscuba macrumors newbie

Once the next wave of external hard drives are released with Thunderbolt capabilities how would one use a MacBook Pro attached to a Cinema Display and one of these drives???

2. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

I'm guessing the external drive with have a passthrough Thunderbolt port so you can daisy chain the display.

3. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

The current DRIVES are ok - what is missing are third party enclosures that allow SATA drives to be installed but have the Thunderbolt chips & ports to allow daisy chaining as mentioned.

Thunderbolt cable to Thunderbolt compliant external drive enclosure (populated with SATA drives) and an additional Thunderbolt cable to plug into the second port of your enclosure to connect your display.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

like most firewire hard drives, the lacie and pegasus thunderbolt enabled drives that've been announced offer 2x ports.

5. vnle macrumors 6502

I had an ACD and when considering buying the 2011 mbp, I asked the genius how I would go about connecting the ACD to the mbp. He says that I can go ahead and just connect it as I always do because the dimensions of the port is the same as the mdp. I haven't actually tried this out ... yet ... ;)