MacBook Pro Clamshell mode display wake crash

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by graham86, Jan 18, 2017.

1. graham86 macrumors member

I've been having on going issues with my mid 2014 MBP where the lid is closed and I plug in power and a external display and try and wake the mac nothing happens other than the fan starts.

At this point I try and open the lid on the mac and nothing, apple logo doesn't light up and the keyboard backlight is not on, yet the fan is still running slow.

Only way to get things working again is to hold the power button for 5s or until the fan stops then press the power button and it starts to boot.

I'm running Sierra but also had the issue when using El Capitan, I've tried reseting the PRAM and SMC and doesn't seem to make any difference.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Open the lid first then close it when it's all set up seems the obvious answer!!

3. graham86 thread starter macrumors member

Thats a work around to an issue that shouldn't been happening. I expect to be able to put it into my vertical henge dock without first having to open the display

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201834

I think that is how it is supposed to work. That Mac needs to be awake to recognize the external display, then after that you can sleep it if you want and it will wake back up fine. But I don't think you can just connect an external display to a sleeping MacBook and have it recognized.

I used various MacBooks with an Apple Thunderbolt Display for over four years and this is how it worked.