macbook pro clicking hard drive hd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iwannalearn, Dec 7, 2011.

1. iwannalearn macrumors newbie

hi i have a macbook pro late 2009 15inch . the hd clicks!. it always does on turn on and when shutting down restarting. Other times it just does it randomly while surfing or idle. it is sSMART verified and verified on disk utility . it just did it ! getting pretty annoying lol . bought second hand but has never frozen or had flashing ? on start up. whats wrong with it should i be worried? thankss.

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

A "click" is usually the sign of a dying hard drive, but some sounds are more normal. The typical click of death sound varies by drive model, but most of them sound slightly metallic. Anyway it's possible that it could die. I obviously can't hear your hard drive, but you do maintain a backup of your data right? If you do not, now is the time to start (as in today, not a week from now). It's not worth risking data. Also to clear up another myth, SSDs die too.

3. rheb1026 macrumors member

Does it happen when the laptop is in motion? There are sensors that will lock the HDD head if it detects enough of an acceleration. In case of a drop, it will lock the HDD to help save your data