MacBook pro clicking noise issues...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StE823, Jul 12, 2011.

1. StE823 macrumors member

Hello guys, my first post on MR. I did a search on the clicking noise issues but can't really find a solution here since some are just issues with the hard drive, and something else.

Here's my problem. I have a late 2008 unibody macbook pro 2.4ghz I've been using since early 2009, during this year I realize there's some kind of popping/clicking noise coming from the left side of the mbp, I thought it was the hard drive and I replaced it with an SSD few months ago and the noise is still popping. I didn't bring it to apple before because it was my only machine in my home. After I got the new iMac few weeks ago I sent my mbp to apple and they suspect it was the fan causing the noise. I got it back and now the clicking noise is back again from few clicks a day to few clicks in an hour (clicking noise happen randomly tho).

And I also realize when I switch to 9600 video card the clicking sound will be gone. I'm wondering if anyone have the same issue with me because I am planning to call AppleCare again soon.

Thanks for reading. Hope I can get some help here!

2. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Not sure what your issue is, but if it were the HDD, it would most likely be coming from the right side, not the left.

Besides the noise, is there any other trouble that you're having that might be related to the noise? Even if not, I still think you should figure out a way to reproduce the noise in front of an Apple Genius if you want them to do anything about it. Otherwise, they'll just keep sending you home with no work done.

3. StE823 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, as I said it's definitely not the HDD. Upper left side near the magsafe area.
    After I got it back from the fan replacement the clicking noise was less frequent and now it's clicking more frequent.

I doubt they can spot the noise at the genius bar. Most likely I will just send the laptop to them soon through phone support.

4. StE823 thread starter macrumors member