Macbook Pro Clicking Noise- PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Burntfender, May 28, 2014.

1. Burntfender macrumors member

Hi- I have just noticed that when i try and run FaceTime on my mac it makes two clicking noises- the sounds are coming from the actual laptop, not the speakers, and it sounds like a generated noise- not one where a couple of parts are rubbing against each other- otherwise it runs fine, i have opened iTunes and played videos etc. and it doesn't appear to make the sounds. Its about 4 years old now, but I've never had any issues with it. I have checked the disk utility and the HDD (i verified it and it said it was ok..?) seems to be fine? Please help, I have all my uni work on my laptop and I am about to come into exams- this could be devastating for me :(

Not sure if it makes any difference 2010 15 inch i7, 2GHZ, 4GB, running 10.9.2

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Could it be the hard drive?

Check the SMART status (found in the disk utility).

3. Burntfender thread starter macrumors member

4. Burntfender thread starter macrumors member

Ok so i have restarted it and rebooted facetime- it isn't make the sound anymore. Should i still be concerned? As i was saying, it is absolutely fine otherwise

5. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

6. Burntfender thread starter macrumors member

Hmm it seems to reflect some things mentioned in that forum regarding mystery clicks... no one seems to know what is causing it.