MacBook Pro clicking sound weird annoying even when turned off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iwannalearn, Nov 8, 2011.

1. iwannalearn macrumors newbie

Hi i have a macbook pro 15 inch late 2009 model. Recently i have been hearing a click sort of metallic like sound coming from what i think is the top right of the laptop but not to sure i am pretty sure it is coming from the top half of the laptop near the screen though. This click sort of tink sound is heard when the laptop is moved or if it is sat on my lap. It sounds sort of like when you scroll down on an ipod wheel. The click will also happen once when you click down on the trackpad after it hasnt been used for a while. this click usually only happens once when moved or tilted or when used not on a flat surface but it has made it a few times in a row acouple of times. The click sound also happens when the laptop is moved when turned off. i heard it might be the sms but i disabled it and it still made the noise. can someone please tell me whats the matter with it ?:(:( thankyou

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. iwannalearn thread starter macrumors newbie

it happens when turned on and when off i think more when its on ? i turned the sms off and it still makes the noise... if its a loose part do i need to take it to a store ? will it damage anything important?

4. RatFace macrumors newbie

I've had this happen on 2 brand new MBPs (2011) I called Apple about this as it happened within the first 2-3 days of having it, they replaced it. BUt the replacement model did the same. I called them up again and they said that this was the 'design'... This is definitely not the hard drive sensor.

There is a guy on youtube showing you how to fix this issue, personally I couldnt be bothered and didnt think I should be fixing a brand new computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uuhLyxKjRo&feature=related

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd be more concerned about the fact that you turned off the SMS, which is needed to protect your drive from damage caused by moving it while running. I'd turn it back on, if I were you.

6. iwannalearn thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i did turn it back on i just read about it and wanted to see if that was the issue which i am pretty sure its not