MacBook pro clicking sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rollzst, Mar 25, 2012.

1. rollzst macrumors member

I have an early 2011 MacBook pro and over the last few months I have noticed sometimes when I open the lid it clicks. It only clicks once upon opening and it sounds like it is coming from the right hand corner. Any idea what this may be?

The problem is so minor it's hardly worth calling apple for, if I can just find out what it causing this I can fix the problem myself

2. rollzst thread starter macrumors member

3. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I have a clicking noise I experience too sometimes, its from the black plastic part in front of the screen. Run your finger across it and see if it makes any noises.

This may just be a problem with mine.

4. nudoru macrumors regular

Don't know if it's your issue, but there are springs on the logic board that press against the bottom removable cover. Mine does this from the middle area (between track pad and keyboard). One resolution is the loosen the screws a little bit.

5. parkp81 macrumors member

My 2010 mbp 13" did this after a few months of using it. I took it to get repaired by Apple, and they adjusted the hinge. It was fixed for a few months, and now I have the same symptoms as you. Mine makes a snapping noise when closing the lid, but only when warm and not when I close it while the laptop is cold. Seems like something is expanding inside the right side hinge? I'm not sure. I also read that the lid should be fully opened then closed. I tried this and it seems to work.

6. rollzst thread starter macrumors member

That's interesting. I've noticed when the mac is cold it makes the snapping noise more when I open the lid. If it is warm it seems to be ok. I guess Ill take it back to apple if it bothers me enough

7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Sounds a lot like the SMS (sudden motion sensor) to me. If this is only happening when the laptop is on, then it's probably that. The SMS makes a clicking noise that sounds like it comes from the right hand side of the laptop whenever there's sudden acceleration, preparing the HDD to save data loss in case of impact.

Then again, if it's coming from the hinge then it's not that :p

8. rollzst thread starter macrumors member

it happens when the laptop is switched on or off so probably not that to be honest. Im thinking it must be from the hinge. I may well open it up myself at the weekend and see if i can fix it:)