MacBook Pro clicking

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fugabutacus, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Fugabutacus, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

Fugabutacus macrumors regular

Hi,

For a few weeks now, my MacBook Pro has been clicking occasionally. Mosts days, it's fine, other days it clicks for about 2-3 seconds at 5-30 second intervals. The click sounds as though it's on the right hand side.

As far as I know, it sounds like my hard drive's dying. Problem is, I won't have a device to back up to for a while, so I'm hoping someone might know of another cause.

If not, I have to ask how common this is... I expected a greater longevity from a mac. I've had this laptop since May 2010. Is this a bit of an early death by Mac standards?

Thanks.

EDIT: I messed up on the title of the thread (pretty generic now, huh?) but it doesn't look like I can edit it. Oops...

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Buy a back up drive.

Batteries and hard drives die quite often - it's nothing Mac specific, they have the same hard drives as most other laptops. It's just bad luck.

Now, does it click when it is on a desk, or just when it's on the lap? The HDD is on the right side when you sit in front of the mac... so it's very likely the source of the clicking sound.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed, not a fan boy but dont be so quick to be complaing about MACs longivity if it is a hard drive failure, they dont make the hard drives

4. Fugabutacus thread starter macrumors regular

Any idea how much it'll set me back getting the hard drive repaired at an Apple Store?

5. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

I wouldn't go to the Apple Store, but an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider). It will be cheaper. I replaced my 320 GB HDD for about $150 which included installation and transfer of everything that they could save from the old HDD.

Also, you can edit the title of your thread by clicking on "Edit," and then "Go Advanced."

6. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

Change the drive yourself, it is not very difficult. If you are worried about doing it there are all sorts of videos available showing you how. The HDD is considered a user configurable item, so you will not void your warranty. Also, if you are going to change it anyway, why not do yourself a HUGE favour and put in an SSD.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm not exactly a fanboy of Apple here, but this is your own fault if you lack a backup. Any hard drive can die. There aren't always warning signs. It could pass all factory tests and still die later.

Next thing is that they're all computers. Apple buys from the same pool as everyone else. They are not special. The cpu still comes from Intel. The gpus still come from the same factories. The hard drives still come from the same manufacturers. Really it's all over the place, but if you don't budget backups into your computer purchases, you are making a big mistake.