Macbook Pro clone one a Mac Pro ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MuggeGHQ, Nov 7, 2008.

1. MuggeGHQ macrumors member

MuggeGHQ

Hi.

Listen. I have my good working MBP running 10.5.4 with all my apps i use every day.
    I just bought a new Mac Pro and instead of starting all over i just used a 100% clone from my MBP to my new Mac Pro.
    The Mac pro runs perfect from what i know. But my question is.

Is that okay to do ? Are they using the same things.
    From what i know they both use 10.5.x but different system files. But all files are on both systems, right. They just load what they need when it boots, yes ?

Or is it not a good idea.

Hope someone have some answers becaouse the Mac Pro runs fine of the MBP clone.

Thx a lot for the help.

2. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

should be fine. i cloned my dual 1.8 g5 to my mac pro and fought like mad to finally get it stable. you should be in great shape from intel to intel. nothing to add other than 'if it works, don't fix it'. good choice vs. starting over...

best of luck.

3. ValkyrieLenneth macrumors regular

ValkyrieLenneth

I cloned my old Macbook Penryn to my current MBP without problems :D Everything works perfectly.

4. MuggeGHQ thread starter macrumors member

MuggeGHQ

Hi guys.

Thx for your replay :)

Its just. A clone from a Macbook to a Macbook Pro is ofcause no problem.
    Its more like from a Macbook Pro to a Mac pro.
    Laptop to a desktop.. But from what i can hear i should be fine still.

5. DubbleDuecer macrumors member

6. ValkyrieLenneth macrumors regular

ValkyrieLenneth

Use some tools. For example: Carbon Copy Cloner :D

7. Catch Them macrumors regular

youll be fun cloning from the MBP to the MacPro HDD.

i did this my 2.2Ghz MBP to a 2.8 Early 2008 MacPro and works fantastic.
    it has all the graphic drivers and necessary within Leopard.

you shouldnt have anything to worry about. should be good to go!

8. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Why are you using 10.5.4? jeez get with the times;)

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

OP: i am not too sure if this will work. you are trying to copy across a system from a LAPTOP to a DESKTOP. a few users have reported successful clones from MBP to MBP, but what your trying to do seems not plausible.

if you think about it. your desktop will have drivers for similar desktop computers, if you copy that onto the laptop a lot of the drivers wont be recognised by the hardware...

i donno it just doesnt seem like it will work.

i would recommend a Time Machine backup/restoration. i think that it would work better and more efficiently.

10.5.5. FTW :)

10. tonyl macrumors 6502

No problem, kexts (drivers) for all Macs are same and kept in system library folder. Only required kexts are loaded.

11. Catch Them macrumors regular

well with the core structure of leopard and how universal it really is.
    i mean consider this....if one was unable to clone a MBP (notebook) to a MacPro (Desktop) then theyd probably have to buy a specific copy of leopard JUST to install on notebooks or desktops.
    But considering Leopard has support (drivers and all etc) for all of the above, there really is no plausible issue that could occur by doing such clone.

I use external drives installed on desktops to boot up and test other desktops and notebooks and clone my notebooks to be backed up (and bootable) to my MacPro.

:cool:

12. HunterMaximus macrumors member

As others have said this usually works fine if you're transferring across the same architecture (Intel->Intel or PPC->PPC, but not PPC->Intel). The one situation I would look out for is doing this with very new hardware. Often when a new model comes out it's loaded with a custom build of OS X containing the hardware specific drivers, etc.
    These drivers are incorporated into point releases of OS X (so that they can release roughly the same patches for all systems), but in between the model releases and OS X updates, you have a situation where going from a "classic" MBP to a new unibody one likely would cause some headaches since it wouldn't have the new drivers for the chipset, new trackpad, etc.

As long as you stay within those guidelines I think you're generally okay. Of course, for maximum insurance, just do a migration rather than cloning (you can even migrate off a SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner disk).

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

if you buy a leopard disc, that has all the required drivers for the hardware. this enables you to install it on any mac that us supported, be in laptop/desktop/g4/intel etc.
    using this install disc you would be able to install/clone it to any computer.

but i think the issue would be when you use an install disc from say a MBP, and try to clone it onto a MacPro. i have tried using my MBP install discs to install onto both iMac and older iBook, that didnt work because there aren't the drivers needed.

on another note. being able to clone and all is very good, it lets you move between computers without customising etcetc, but i think it is wasted space. really, what is the use of having drivers installed on your computer when 95% of users are not going to clone their machines??

cloning would also have issues when moving to new machines, take the new MBP's for isntance. an old version of leopard would not be compatible with the new GPU's, the new touchpad and all the rest of that.

yea thats exactly what i was saying above. cloning for the same computer i think would be fine, but cloning from notebook->desktop just doesnt seem right. of the people taht have actually cloned from notebook->deskto (or vice versa), what's to say that some of the hardware is running under a 'default' driver? take my hackintosh install for example, which was a leopard installation.. the GPU used a default driver until i manually installed the correct, modified driver.

14. MuggeGHQ thread starter macrumors member

MuggeGHQ

Hi guys.

Thanks a lot for all your replays :) really helpful
    So far my new Mac pro still runs fine from the clone i made.
    So from what i understand now.
    My MBP is the latest (Penryn) accept for the MBP just released few weeks ago.
    and the Mac pro is the latest. So both Macs are pretty new.

So the clone from my MBP to my Mac pro should be fine then.
    I didn't clone from PPC to Intel. Intel to Intel.

Mike from xlr8yourmac also said many good things to me, but also said if the Mac pro was running fine and all hardware was recognized in system profiler.
    I should be fine :)

That looks like i'm going to keep my clone on the Mac pro.
    Dont want to start all over installing apps, fonts, etc etc.
    This was the easiest way for me.

thx people

15. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I've used tiger 10.4 on my G3 iBook and used it to boot up a G4 Powermac, same concept but just on ancient hardware :p. Your best bet would probably do a fresh install and migrate everything over or do an archive and install. It wouldn't hurt to do that but if it runs fine the way it is, why fix it?