Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2010
Hello

i would like to know is it possible to have my MBP lid closed and use two additional monitors as my main?

will there be any heat issue on the MBP ( keep in mind i will be using it for many hours design/code )

and what good monitors do you recommend to buy ( i will be buying two of the same brand )

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
It may depend on how much heat your particular CPU puts out. I would generally advise against lowering the screen while operating unless you have a ruggedized system that is fanless and specifically designed to operate at high temperatures. Have you tried it yourself? If your laptop's fans spin up when you do, you probably shouldn't lower the screen. I've waved my hands over some laptops in an Apple Store and felt like I could cook something on the keyboard with all the heat that was available. I'm not sure how much better the Core i5 and i7 CPUs are at heat output while actually doing work, but they do seem cooler near idle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.