MacBook Pro Closes When it Overheats - Happens Often

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thanpolas, Feb 21, 2011.

1. thanpolas macrumors newbie

thanpolas

Hello there!

I have a MacBook Pro A1211 (late 2006) which overheats quite often and then closes.

I downloaded the CoolBook controller, even paid the 10$ but saw no real difference... The temperatures when working are between 85c-94c

When i watch a flash video, or do cpu intensive work temp rises to 100+c and after a few moments the laptop closes.

Where should i look at for a solution?

Thank you

2. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

Which OS are you running?
    Have you played with the settings in coolbook? I haven't used it myself but I guess you need the fans to spin faster, and come on sooner (at a lower temperature).
    And update to the latest flash player if that's really killing you, I think the latest version shifts some of the decoding to the GPU, so your CPU gets a bit of a break.
    Finally, if you fancy getting the screwdrivers out, it sounds like your machine would benefit from a reapplication of the thermal compound that helps shift the heat from the chip to the heatsink. This would probably make a bigger difference than any of the other suggestions, but is a bit more work

3. kolax macrumors G3

Sounds like your fans are probably clogged up with dust, so there is poor air circulation.

Unscrew the back panel, and you'll be able to see right away how dusty it is in there. Best way to clean the dust is a vacuum cleaner on low power (doesn't take much suction to get dust out).

4. thanpolas thread starter macrumors newbie

thanpolas

Kilamite: i'll try that and get back to you, thanks! :)

DoghouseMike: 10.6.6 I am totally blind in regards with the settings in coolbook, don't really know what i'm doing as there is no documentation, it's empirical and that will take time...

I'll try the sucking solution first and then i guess it's the screws...