Macbook Pro Coffee Spill

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vessel66, Jun 6, 2014.

1. vessel66 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have a 2008 MBP and spilled a small amount of (sweetened) coffee on it yesterday. It landed on the right speaker and some of the keyboard.

I force shut it down right away and tilted it on its side for the coffee to drain off. I havent tried to turn it back on and my guess is it's probably fine, or at least it will be at first.

I'm hesitant to take it in somewhere to have the residue cleaned out of the vent & whenever else it ended up, because I'm tight for money. But if I'm shortening the life of it, then I'll take it in. I'm assuming most shops have the tools to clean parts off in a situation like this.

Do any of you have experience with spills? I'm not sure what to do. Really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

2. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

I know someone who spilled some cola on his old MacBook in class, and it turned out he didn't had any issues at all afterwards. I believe as long as everything is still working after the spill, you'll be fine. No need to worry. :)

3. vessel66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man!

Yeah for like the 3 seconds between the spill and me shuttin it down, the computer worked fine so hopefully that means no catastrophic damage.

I'm not sure of the MBPs layout, but unless the logic board or something is right underneath the eject key, I probably avoided the major components.

Am I in danger of corroding anything if I try booting it up? Or would the damage already be done?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Corrosion will not form because you started it. Corrosion will form due to the liquid. You run the risk of shorting the board with corrosion.

It is kind of a gamble because on one hand you already shortened the life of it. On the other, it could run perfectly fine without issues. Since I am technically inclined and smart enough not to eat or drink near my computer, I would simply pull the Logic Board out and clean it. If you do not have the skills, then I do not recommend doing that though.