Macbook Pro College Deal Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by coolsenior09, Jun 16, 2009.

1. coolsenior09 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm planning to buy the Macbook Pro 13'' 2.53 GHz and get the iPod touch for free. I have a question though.

Where should I buy it through? My college has the 'edu' pricing, and offers it at $1388 (a savings of $111). Apple of course sells it for $1499. I WOULD buy it through the college, HOWEVER, I'm an incoming freshman and I won't be able to have it until I get to campus (end of August). What should I do? Where does everybody usually get their college deals?

Thanks!

2. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

When you go to the apple store website, make sure you log in to view the "edu" pricing. The apple MBP you want is 1399 through the apple website + tax so the pricing is very close to what the school offers.

I would order it from the apple store online with the free iPod, and then you can submit your rebate online, it's super easy and fast, and you get your check REALLY quick.

on edit, to log in, on the left side pane, click Education store, then browse to your school. After you select your school you will see the Apple EDU pricing.

3. anamznazn macrumors regular

anamznazn

IMO, the college deal is the best time to buy from Apple. :)

4. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

I agree with Zman5225.

I'm also an incoming freshman, but I won't be buying at my school's store.

I'll be using the BTS discount in August, giving myself time to contemplate and whatnot. :rolleyes:

5. nahsor macrumors member

Yeah I was planning on taking advantage of the college deal as well and was ready to pull the trigger on the midrange 15" but all this talk of Arrandale has made me change me mind...I am still on the fence but it would be my first mac and I want something that is not going to be completely outdated in 6 months...decisions decisions...:confused:

6. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

My understanding, if I recall correctly, is that enrolled students are eligible for Apple's academic discount even if classes have not yet started.

7. mrj205 macrumors regular

All computers are essentially outdated once you buy them. There will always be a better, faster machine out there. What happens when Arrandale actually hits the shelves? Will you wait for what comes next then? Plus it's unlikely to be out before the end of the back to school promo. Just get it now and be happy with it now. You won't regret it...:D

That is correct.

8. coolsenior09 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just called Apple, and they told me I could get the EDU pricing from an Apple Store if I bring my acceptance letter, ID, etc. So I think that's what I'm going to do.

9. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

Also, the education discount promo will not require you to send any verification if you access the apple store using the school's internet. And it will remember your computer too, so then when you go home, you can access the educational apple store and make a purchase and not have to verify anything.

10. nahsor macrumors member

Yes that is true but the next upgrade is not just a minor bump but a massive change in the architecture that has been used for the past 3 years. Hyperthreading along with Snow Leopard is going to be much faster than the current c2ds. Of course, if you absolutely need a computer right now, then you should go ahead and buy but if you can wait, i think the wait might be worth it. Also the next upgrade could bring USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0. I want something that will last at least 3 to 4 fear without being completely ancient. The SATA 1.5 mess does not make this purchase worthwhile as i want to upgrade to SSD a couple years down the road...

But you are right, the second I hit the order button the technology has almost already become old...