MacBook Pro- Coming to my senses

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 62tele, Nov 27, 2016.

1. 62tele macrumors 6502a

I admit to lusting after the new MacBook Pro. I seriously was considering making the jump. Thankfully, I waited it out and am now over my lust and I have managed to overcome my impatience at acquiring a new device.

The 13 inch model’s screen size is far too small for my Logic Pro X needs and the 15” price is simply too much.

I am not sure how much longer my 27” mid-2010 iMac will last or how long I can live with it’s creeping flakey behavior. I am backing up my important files, projects frequently to mitigate any disasters. If it goes, prior to an iMac refresh, I will be content to get a current 21.5” model with upgraded RAM and SSD. Hopefully, a refreshed iMac with faster SSD, touch ID, etc is not too far off.

The self inflicted pressure is off. I just said “no” to the very attractive but overpriced MBP.

2. smirking macrumors 6502a

Why don't you get a 2015 model or even a refurbished 2015 rMBP model?

I've got a Touchbar 15" on order, but the only reason I'm breaking the piggy bank is because I really need one of those new 5K monitors and I can't do that with the older models. I couldn't care any less about the Touch Bar or the thinner design.

3. 62tele thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I consider my needs, portability is not a criteria. I don't care about Touch Bar but I like touch ID. Also I would love a device with the faster SSD/NVMe technology. Hopefully that will be a component of a new iMac. The processor upgrade is really not that significant.

4. kahkityoong macrumors 6502

kahkityoong

I said no the moment it was announced. Shouldn't need to bend over backwards to meet the requirements of a new machine.

5. smirking macrumors 6502a

The response to the new Touchbar MBP is really interesting. The people who seem to be intrigued by it don't want to spend the premium bit of cash on it whereas the people who are buying it like me aren't at all excited about anything about the machine, but need it so badly that we're not going to argue.

It really has had me checking to see how many of my daily programs are available in a Windows version. I doubt I'll end up switching, but if it were less painful to switch, I think I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

6. 62tele thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can't ever see switching to Windows. The conversion isnt the issue. The issue is running Windows itself. I'm more intrigued by the faster SSD and Touch ID. The touch bar probably has benefit down the road but its not a factor in a buying decision.

7. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

Yeah, good job for being patient. I've also been tempted to replace my late-2013 iMac with a Retina model (which after many months people seem to almost unanimously laud as beautiful), but I'm also making myself wait to see what their next major move is. Worst case – lower prices on the thing that's been tempting me, presumably.

I love the Touch Bar in principle – I tried that simulation hack and think it's fantastic – but I think my destiny is an iPad or iPhone when not at my main workstation, and a powerful home base with an excellent display when I am.

And, you know; this is just the first manifestation for the Touch Bar as well. Give it ten proverbial seconds and that feature may somehow manifest around other Macs too, even if you don't care much about it.

8. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

I am coming from a Late 2011 MBP 15. For me, the retina is a huge upgrade. Plus the loss of 50% weight.

9. Storminbalders macrumors newbie

I just wanted to inform you that the current late 2015 27' retina iMacs with either the 1tb fusion drive or 1tb SSD have the faster NVMe technology.

I don't know whether that makes any difference to you or not?

10. 62tele thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I didn't realize that. However, I don't want another 27" model. I no longer need that much screen real estate. I prefer the 21.5" model.

11. Storminbalders macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if the 1tb Fusion Dribe upgrade on the 21.5" Mac comes with NVMe or not. I know there's no 1tb SSD option.

Might be worth checking out?

12. TPadden macrumors 6502a

I do care about touch screen though; Touch Bar is a very poor substitute.

13. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I have a 2014, 2015, and 2016 15" in house (doing a comparison to see which to keep). The improvement in SSD speed is invisible - at least to me. If you regularly copy very large files, it might help, but in day to day use, it's impossible to tell the difference.

The processor is an upgrade in name only, at least as Apple has implemented it. Per geekbench, the 2014 2.2 GHz base model cpu is faster than the 2016 2.6 GHz model.