MacBook Pro Comparisons

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rsv2, Nov 15, 2013.

1. rsv2 macrumors newbie

Longtime lurker here in need of advice. My mid-2009 13” is chugging along tolerably, but the screen is beginning to bother me. I really think I would benefit from the higher resolution display due to the amount of time I spend reading from it. So, a 13” rMBP looks like the natural upgrade.

However, I’m a student and need the computer to last me 3+ years without upgrade. Should I be worried over Iris graphics are insufficient for a bit of gaming (Total War etc.)? Although I know benchmark comparisons aren’t fully linear, it does concern me that Iris 5100 is only ~4.5x the 9400m, considering it has 4x as many pixels to push. Should I perhaps hold out for mid-year bump, Broadwell or later, particularly if the Air is doubled from 1440x900?

Naturally, I also looked at the 15”, which also has quad-core. But the premium for discrete graphics is enormous! Any thoughts or recommendations would be most welcome.

2. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

I love my 15" and hate using 13" MacBook Pro's now, I love having the big screen, if you can afford the 15" go for it :) otherwise stick with a 13" get a decent amount of ram and hard drive space too!