MacBook Pro completely dead. Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ii smelter, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Ii smelter macrumors newbie

I replaced the trackpad on my MacBook Pro 13inch early 2011. I'm not sure I disconnected the battery before I took the screws out that keep the battery in. I replaced the trackpad and the battery, and now my macbook won't turn on!!

I did smell a faint burnt smell while I was doing all of this if that matters.

The battery indicator lights do not turn on. The power adaptor is a very dim green. I tries an SMC reset and nothing happened. There is no activity whatsoever!

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

2. Ii smelter thread starter macrumors newbie

3. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Have you checked to make sure the battery is in fact connected? It sounds like the computer does not know it's there - which could mean it's dead, or disconnected.

Does the computer power on when plugged into the power adapter? If not you may have a dead logic board, as the computer should power on regardless of the battery's condition.

4. Ii smelter thread starter macrumors newbie

The computer doesn't turn on with the power connected and the battery disconnected. Still that faint dim color.

Could I have damaged the magsafe board somehow? I didn't even go near it when installing new trackpad.

Does anyone know how much a new logic board will cost me for my MacBook Pro 13? I keep on finding really varied amounts.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you smelled something burning while you were working on it, you ought to try to identify what it was. What were you doing when it you noticed it?

6. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I don't think you damaged the Magsafe port, especially if you did the repair while the computer was unplugged which I'm assuming was the case.

If you did in fact remove the battery improperly, you could have fried the logic board. It's hard to tell without buying new parts and testing them out until you find the issue. A new logic board would run you somewhere in the several hundred dollars range.

Also I would figure out the source of that smell.

7. Ii smelter thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm really it sure what I was doing when I noticed the smell. It was very sudden and brief. I really don't think I disconnected the battery properly, so I'm sure I fried the logic board ugh!

Is my hard drive ok.?

8. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Your hard drive is probably fine. You can get a cheap external USB enclosure and connect it to a different computer to see. Also, be glad you didn't fry yourself. :p

9. Ii smelter thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think that the logic board can be repaired vs. needing to be replaced completely?

10. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

It is not sure is logic board take it to a store to diagnose the problem.If is logic board I suggest do it yourself with a cheap used board from ebay apple will charge a new computer to repair.