Macbook pro completely freezes/locksup when plugging/unplugging external display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Muler36, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Muler36 macrumors member

This problem doesn't happen everytime, but it happens often enough for it to get pretty damn annoying. I have my MBP with an external display, using the miniport->dvi adapter.

Now for some reason, if I unplug the external display, or plugin the display, it sometimes doesn't "refresh" the screens, as in changes the configuration between 1 and 2 screen setup, instead it just hangs, and you can't do anything but restart.

anyone else having this problem?

2. jpfisher macrumors regular

I'm having this issue as well, logged on to see if anyone had found a fix... I've gone back through messages on this forum through early December, and while I've seen others with the problem (apparently isolated to 10.5.6), I've seen no solution.

3. relativist macrumors regular

Just out of curiosity, have you noticed that the MBP does not wake up with external display unless it's connected to power? Maybe if your power connection isn't reliable it might cause this? :confused:

4. jpfisher macrumors regular

No problems with my power. Always wakes up fine when connected to the display, and I made sure to plug the MagSafe in and wait for the orange charge light before reconnecting the Mini DisplayPort connector.