Macbook Pro Concerns

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by designer., Jan 22, 2011.

1. designer. macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have had my macbook pro for around 4 months now, I use it as a desktop with my dell 24' but I do run full cycles(charge it fully, then run it down) I always run full cycles.

I recently downloaded watts and it tells me I have done 111 cycles and it is designed for 1000 which is concerning in itself then it goes on to tell me my original capacity was 5770mAh and its now at 5386mAh.

What should I be doing to conserve the battery? or is this just normal?

Thanks.

2. ECUpirate44, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011

ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

GGJstudios will post the Apple Notebook Battery FAQ any moment now!

Heres my take on it though.
    Your battery is most likely fine. You are correct in your thinking that running full cycles is the best way to keep a battery healthy. I would try calibrating to see if you can get a more accurate reading. I have done 62 cycles. Here are my readings. Original 6900 mAh. Current 6732 mAh. 97% capacity remaining. These numbers should also be taken with a grain of salt considering they fluctuate often.

3. simsaladimbamba

Running it down completely is not really necessary.

Btw, the health (yours is at 93%) is bound to oscillate, my MBPs gone from 99% to 92& and up to 98% again, due to proper handling, which isn't running the battery down every single time.

PS: As this is a daily question, have you taken a look at MRoogle and looked for any of the dozens of hundreds of thousands threads with the same issue?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to run a full cycle every time you run it on battery.
    Your battery health (93%) is quite normal for the number of cycles you have on it.
    Have you properly calibrated your battery on a regular basis?

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

When you're looking for help, try MRoogle first, to search the forum for existing threads on your topic. Then, if you don't find what you need, use a thread title more specific to your question, so it's easier to identify what help you need. Even "MBP battery questions" is a more helpful title than "MacBook Pro Concerns".

How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience

5. designer. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your link, no I haven't taken a look at MRoogle.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

:D I lole'd at this then lole'd even more when I saw GGJstudios post below!

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What gets me is that if he's gonna post that comment, at least he could have posted the link to the FAQ and save me the trouble! :D

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Just to clarify,

It's not designed for 1000 cycles. It's designed to maintain at least 80% battery health by the time you've reached 1000 cycles. I'm at 706 cycles and my health is at 92%.

No worries mate!

9. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

lol!!

10. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I'm using my MBP in desktop mode w/ my 24 inch dell too. My advice is that its fine to keep it plugged in all the time, but try to run the battery all the way down at least once a month. Some people will probably say different but I think thats the best. Just make sure not to charge to 70% then use to 20% then charge to 80% then let it run down to 50% and so on and so on. I did that with my first MacBook and within 1 year, the battery had to be serviced. Apple basically replaced the battery for no extra charge which was great. The way I knew there was a problem was because the battery life went from 6ish hours to about 2 hours or less. It was pretty obvious. Also, don't worry too much about the battery cycles. I got my 15 inch MBP in may 2010 and I already used up 357 cycles. I use my MBP A LOT and I take it on any trip I go on. So yeah don't worry about the cycles, just enjoy your laptop as much as possible. By the time you reach 1000 cycles you'll either want a new laptop or you'll be able to get it replaced fairly easily.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

... including Apple:
    It's very bad for a battery to run plugged in for extended periods.
    There is nothing wrong with using it that way, as long as the battery is getting cycled and you calibrate every month or two. Read the FAQ for more details.