Macbook Pro config: should I go SSD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by farzin, Apr 2, 2011.

1. farzin, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

farzin macrumors newbie

Which configuration should I go with? :

config 1:
    Macbook Pro 13"
    2.3GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x2GB
    256GB Solid State Drive

config 2:
    Macbook Pro 13"
    2.7GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
    750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

What I will be using my computer for:
    mostly non-CPU intensive things like...
    - writing/editing word/powerpoint documents
    - recording university lectures
    - email/surfing

occasional CPU intensive things like...
    - analyzing chess games
    - running a virtual machine of win xp (or maybe win 7)
    - converting movie files for use on ipod

I understand that with more RAM I won't need to close apps as often, but with an SSD (Solid State Drive), app launching/closing will be faster. SSDs are also more rugged. My friend advised me that SSDs can slow down over time. I don't really need the 750 GB, but I can always wait until SSD price lowers and use the 750 GB hard drive as an external backup drive. What do you think?

2. simsaladimbamba

Always buy RAM and SSD/HDD after market, as it is cheaper as going with Apple.
    Take a look at Newegg and MacSales, if you are USA bound.

3. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can you afford it? Then yes.

4. acurafan macrumors 6502a

get config 1 - for what you're doing, don't bother with outdated hdd technology. get it with hdd, add 3rd party ssd and re-use hdd for time machine backups.

5. farzin thread starter macrumors newbie

I normally would buy RAM/SDD/HDD from a third party, but this is off credit I have on a gift card. I'd like to spend it all on this laptop so going with a lower configuration wont actually save me money.

6. brendu macrumors 68020

Absolutely get the SSD. No doubt about it, best upgrade you can give your computer.

7. MacCrackAddict, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

MacCrackAddict macrumors member

i was having this exact dilemma myself!

i use a few more intensive programs than you and was advised to, and after i did LOTS of online research, go with the SSD and i5. the i7 adds realistically about 10% over the i5 in 'everyday' stuff, from what i gather. i went with SSD and i5 and i can say WOW does the SSD make a difference.

i was also torn between the 300gb SSD against a 500gb HDD. if you have an external to store the things you do not use as often, 300gb is plenty and the SSD rocks!!

more importantly, SSD is a much bigger upgrade for speed and durability against the jump from i5 to i7 :)

8. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

config 2:
    Macbook Pro 13"
    2.7GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
    750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

But then spend some extra money and get a 128gb SSD... take out your optical drive and put in an Optibay or one of it's cheaper competitors. Put your 750gb in THAT bay. Use SSD as start up and apps while your HDD will be used for storage of music/photos/videos/docs.

That is my dream set up... well it's also my current set up... but I have it on my uMBP late 2008. Not nearly as speedy.

9. farzin thread starter macrumors newbie

I went with config 2 and bought a 256 GB Solid State Drive from OWC (http://www.macsales.com). Thanks for all the suggestions. SSD is much faster