Macbook Pro connect to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by padagr, Mar 31, 2013.

1. padagr macrumors newbie

Hello. I've read some other posts, but I'm still confused. I really want to connect my Macbook Pro into my HDTV to watch HBO Go online. First, can you go online while connected into the TV? Also what cord(s) should I buy? Do I need a cord for the sound and the image?

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro (13 in). It runs on Mountain Lion.

Thanks for your help!

2. simsaladimbamba

A Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable should be fine if your TV supports HDMI.

from
    And yes, you can go online while the TV is connected to the MBP.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. padagr thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the difference between MDP to VGA and MDP to DVI? Thanks for your help.

4. simsaladimbamba

Does your TV not have HDMI?

Anyway, the difference is that VGA is analog and older and is of less visual quality and does not support higher resolutions (though 1920 x 1080 can be done) and DVI is digital and newer and has better visual quality and supports bigger resolutions, though with an HD TV is might not matter.

5. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Different connections from your TV. VGA is actually analog, and will give you a worse signal with the same size adapter than DVI. Or, if you have the rMBP, use an HDMI able without any adapters to connect it to a TV at a max 1080p resolution in OSX (4K is supported in Bootcamp).

6. padagr thread starter macrumors newbie

My TV does have HDMI. So if I got the MDP to DVI cord, would I need to get another cord to connect the DVI cord to the HDMI slot on the TV? I hope this makes sense. Also the DVI cord would connect the sound, right?

7. simsaladimbamba

Yes, that would work, but as already mentioned, you just get a MDP to HDMI adapter or cable from any source you want, like MonoPrice or Apple or Amazon. Just verify, that is transmits audio via MDP>HDMI. Or is there a problem going that route?

8. B... macrumors 68000

B...

If your TV has DVI (which does sound, too), just get a DVI cord (male to male) and plug it into the MDP to DVI (female) adapter.

9. padagr thread starter macrumors newbie

That shouldn't be a problem. Thanks so much for your help!

----------

I think I'll go with the MDP to HDMI. I've never used DVI plugs before. Thanks for your help.

10. Roeland macrumors newbie

Roeland

Alternatively, if you have a Samsung TV. You could also install the "Mirror for Samsung TV" mac app. This app simply casts your screen to your TV. No extra hardware, cables or apps on your TV required: You can download this app from the App Store: http://apple.co/2242oo7

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Or you could keep an eye on the dates in threads, this hasn't been active for over three years...