Macbook Pro connected wirelessly to Netgear DG834 but cannot connect to the Internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by atlanticza, Jul 24, 2009.

1. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Hi all... just at my wits end: queried Google, searched this forum, read old threads here but found no solution. As you see from my title I am trying to connect my MacBook Pro to a new Netgear router (the Mac worked flawlessly with the previous wireless router). It claims to be connected to the Internet through Network Diagnostics but cannot resolve any sites (or gmail etc) in both Safari & Firefox. (And yes, all updates have been installed, and yes it connects flawlessly via Ethernet.)

I don't think it's the new router as my iPhone happily connects through it as well as a wireless PC notebook that I have, so why is the MacBook Pro having a problem?

On interrogating the router I find that it's defaulted to WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK under Security Options (see pic) but maybe this is a red herring - any advice would be most appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Default it to no security on wireless and then check it connects ok first..

then add the security - Macs do sometimes have problems with variations of WPA so try something less demandng....

3. atlanticza thread starter macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

You're a star - thanks. It works with Security Options disabled but alas, add a security option, even WEP and it's back to square one.

So I tried Square 2 and found that can get the MBP connected using WEP with a Shared Key with 128bit encryption (see pic). WEP's not ideal, but hey it works for the moment until I find another solution. Many thanks for your advice, it set me on the right route.

Attached Files:

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I use the same router and just use MAC filtering - not ideal but will slow down some people.....

Maybe it is a feature of Macs and Netgears - other wireless routers seem to be ok with Mac's and WEP/WPA....