MacBook Pro Connection to Sony Bravia

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SteinMaster, Dec 21, 2009.

1. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I want to connect my late 2008 MacBook Pro to my Sony Bravia LCD TV and play movies from iTunes. What's the nest way to connect my sound? I figured-out the video connection, but my sound is coming from the Mac and not the TV. I guess I need to connect a 3.5mm headphone jack from the computer to two RCA jacks in the TV. Anyone have a better recommendation?

I also was thinking about using AirTunes into my AirPort Express. If I play movies from iTunes, I should be able to stream the audio to the Airport Express and connected speakers while the video goes to the TV from the mini DVI/HDMI to the TV.

Please advise if anyone has a better solution.

Thanks

2. m85476585 macrumors 65816

There is a MDP to HDMI adapter that carries sound
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5969&seq=1&format=2

Or you can connect the audio optically
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10229&cs_id=1022902&p_id=1558&seq=1&format=2

Or you can use a 3.5mm to RCA adapter, assuming your TV can take RCA input using HDMI as a source. It might only be possible with the "PC" input, which is usually VGA or DVI. Check your user's manual. VGA is not preferred because the image might be flawed, and it will be very noticeable on a large TV. You might be OK with a high quality VGA cable, though.

3. espressoroast macrumors member

espressoroast

My Bravia (32S3000) refused to recognize the signal coming from a DVI-HDMI cable hooked up to a MBP (SR).
    Also, the max resolution from its VGA input was not full-screen, which was very annoying.

Thankfully, my problem is solved when I purchased a receiver and ran my video signal thorough it.
    Also, the sound makes a huge difference between a standard output and digital.

Hope this helps somewhat.

4. SteinMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I used your first suggestion and ordered the HDMI/sound converter to reduce the number of connections to the TV. Saw it got a lot of good reviews.

5. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

His second suggestion wouldn't work -- how can you connect VIA optical when there is no optical output on the MBP?

Edit: Whoa, is the 3.5mm output also a Toslink? Does that mean that it can output 5.1/7.1 surround sound?

6. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

5.1 yes, 7.1 no. The max it can transmit is Dolby Digital & DTS @ 3.1Mbit. You can do uncompressed (2 channel) PCM as well.