MacBook Pro Constant lockups, worse than windows...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FreudianSlap, Sep 2, 2012.

1. FreudianSlap macrumors newbie

Hi all, I wonder if anyone could help me...

I have recently upgraded from SL to ML (Now running 10.8.1) on my 15" 2011 MBP and since then my computer has just been randomly completely locking up - I get the spinning pinwheel and there's nothing I can do other than hold the power button to force it to turn off. I am sure it is getting worse too - At the beginning, when I upgraded it was maybe once every three or four days, which I put down to ML teething problems, however I have done this to my computer EIGHT times today.

For some reason ML won't recognise my SL time machine drive as a time machine backup (Not that I particularly want to use that anyway) and short of completely restoring my computer I am somewhat lost as to what I can do to fix this problem. Any advice or suggestion please?!

Thanks in advance!

2. orvn macrumors 6502

I was having the same issue. Determined via process of elimination that it was hard drive related.

Resolved by:

1. Going to disk utility, repairing main disk and permissions.
    2. Using Disk Warrior to reorganize the contents of my disk, in order (rebuild).

Although I held the 'c' key, Disk Warrior 4 wouldn't boot from CD on my MBP. So I had to boot my MBP in target mode (hold 't' during boot) and connect it to another Mac on which I ran diskwarrior.

I connected the two machines using a male-male firewire 800 (9pin) cable.