Macbook Pro Constant Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacDaddy80, Jan 27, 2011.

1. MacDaddy80 macrumors member

Hey guys there is a constant noise coming form my macbook pro, it sounds like the hard drive well not constant but itz every 10-15 seconds and wen i open an application also. is this normal? i can hear it wen its pretty quiet in the room. And it does it wen i click a link on safari.itz

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Open the Console.app and take a look at these logs:

/var/log/system.log
    /var/log/kernel.log (Snow Leopard only)

If you see anything that says:

disk0s2: I/O error

then it's the hard drive.

Otherwise, if you could determine what area of the laptop it's coming from, I could potentially tell you what it is. I'd also need to know which MBP it is.

3. MacDaddy80 thread starter macrumors member

it is the one in my signature and it coming from the left side by the keyboard

4. Detrius macrumors 68000

On that machine, the hard drive should be in the front left, under the palm rest. There are two fans in the machine, and from what you're saying, it sounds like it's likely the left fan (under the keyboard, at the rear of the machine).

The detail about clicking a link in Safari is probably more related to the fact that loading a web page requires processor usage, and therefore, the fan spins up a little bit. You could probably get it to make the noise by manually spinning up the fan using something like smcFanControl.

If your machine is still under warranty, just take it in.