Macbook Pro constantly re-starting

pamagar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hi there, good evening from Dublin! My name is Pablo and I just joined this group/forum so thanks for having me!!!

A year ago or so I bought a refurbished Macbook Pro. It was great, everything working, great conditions and not that much used... etc. However, for the past few months, the computer has been restarting by himself every now and then. Sometimes it would just restart few seconds after having switched it on while other times it would be after an hour working with it when it restarts again. Not only that, my speakers now sound weird as well... kind of as if the lows of them weren't adjusted and the sounds bounce too much, making it difficult to actually hear something properly. I've read here and there that I would have to replace the battery and other components and I'm afraid that it will be the case. Any tips? Some recommendations? I haven't mentioned it but I didn't bring the laptop to any repair shop.

Thanks in advance :)

solouki

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2017
Hi there, good evening from Dublin! My name is Pablo and I just joined this group/forum so thanks for having me!!!

A year ago or so I bought a refurbished Macbook Pro. It was great, everything working, great conditions and not that much used... etc. However, for the past few months, the computer has been restarting by himself every now and then. Sometimes it would just restart few seconds after having switched it on while other times it would be after an hour working with it when it restarts again. Not only that, my speakers now sound weird as well... kind of as if the lows of them weren't adjusted and the sounds bounce too much, making it difficult to actually hear something properly. I've read here and there that I would have to replace the battery and other components and I'm afraid that it will be the case. Any tips? Some recommendations? I haven't mentioned it but I didn't bring the laptop to any repair shop.

Hi Pablo, and welcome.

You don't mention which MBP you have, but if it is one with a T2 chip (2018/9), then you may be experiencing the same troubles than numerous others are experiencing. Nobody, including Apple, has figured out how to solve these issues in nearly two years.

See the thread
for details.

Best of luck,
Solouki

Honza1

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2013
US

If you bought it year ago from Apple, it may still be uder warranty. Apple refurbished have regular warranty (here in the US). In that case get it to Apple before warranty expires and let them fix it. If they can (sse post above on T2 issue).

pamagar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hi everyone. Not the case, bought it from an online shop of refurbished computers which is really reliable but the warranty has expired. My MacBook is an OS X Yosemite, 15 inches and is from the Mid 2010.
2,53 GHz Intel Core i5 of processor and
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 of memory. Any ideas? Thanks!

Honza1

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2013
US
Ouch, that old?
Previously when I had issues with system simply rebooting with no feedback at all, it was memory. May be find different stick of the RAM and try it with that memory. Or at least remove and reinsert the RAM sticks, just in case there is bad contact.
These machines are being retired now, so old RAM sticks of this type should be available in drawers of pack rat IT gurus. Our IT has drawer full of these old sticks...
But this is only my wild guess and it can be lots of other things. I surely would not go and buy the memory. I would be worried, that I invest money in lost cause.

Reactions: Alch3mist

pamagar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Ouch, that old?
Previously when I had issues with system simply rebooting with no feedback at all, it was memory. May be find different stick of the RAM and try it with that memory. Or at least remove and reinsert the RAM sticks, just in case there is bad contact.
These machines are being retired now, so old RAM sticks of this type should be available in drawers of pack rat IT gurus. Our IT has drawer full of these old sticks...
But this is only my wild guess and it can be lots of other things. I surely would not go and buy the memory. I would be worried, that I invest money in lost cause.
Hi Honza! Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this particular field but I have no idea about what are you saying. Which sticks? How should I remove them? I've never opened my laptop so I would say I'm a beginner beginners. I also found out this, which perfectly describes my problem:

What you guys think?
Thanks,
Pablo

Honza1

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2013
US
Well, if you ave never opened your computer, you need to buy something with warranty and service and not this "fix-me-upper"...
Memory in those machines is user replaceable - but there are various versions of it. It is little board ("memory stick" in jargon) inserted into the slot inside the computer. You would need to find same type of memory. Unless you have friend with some around, it is not worth buying it. In the movie you see bad capacitor which may be the cause of restart. Bad memory would be another cause. But these are vintage/obsolete machines and lots of other things can be the reason for this problem. It is impossible to say.
Find some independent repair shop and see, what they would quote for repairs there.