Macbook Pro Cooling Fan Maintenance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lavrishevo, Jun 7, 2008.

1. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

My MBP is going on two years old now and I am getting a little rapping sound from one of the fans when it needs to spin up to around 4500 rpms. Is there any kind of lubrication maintenance that I can perform on the fans that you guys know of? I would think there is a need for some sort of product to reduce friction from the fans spinning and that it slowly wears away. Am I of track in this line of thinking?

2. m85476585 macrumors 65816

First of all, clean any dust out of the fan with compressed air since that could be causing the noise (and will cause your MBP to run hotter). Also clean the intake and exhaust vents if there is any dust.

The fan should have a small sticker in the middle, on the stationary part (not the hub that spins with the blades). If you peel back the sticker, you should see the bearing, and you can add some oil. Don't add too much or you will make a mess and possibly damage the fan. I have used a Radioshack precision oiler in the past, which is basically some oil in a needle-tip dispenser, but I have never seen adding oil fix a noisy fan. At best, it will make the noise quieter for a few weeks or months, but you will still most likely have to replace the fan if it bothers you. If the noise doesn't bother you, you don't have to replace the fan until it physically stops working, but I would replace it if it gets really loud since that can indicate that it is about to die.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I had a macbook pro (Rev 2) thats a little under a year old, however the fans started going nuts after 9 months (same issue). If your machine is under apple care tell them to fix it since its an "authorized repair". I had mine fixed from Wa to Texas from call to return deliery in about 84 hours.

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Better to order a new fan than to try and repair the old one, assuming its from wear/tear and not dust and obstructions.