Macbook Pro cooling tips.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Oxonian3, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Oxonian3 macrumors regular

Hey guys,
    I came across something interesting and this part of the thread would probably only apply to those with Dual gpus.I've noticed when using my macbook pro the wattage greatly affects fan+temperature(of course).Surfing web pages the Amd Radeon Hd 6750 Heats the laptop up more than the intel chip.
    17" 2.3Ghz Quad Core.May differ with 15" version.

Surfing And Typing.
    Intel HD 3000/Amd Radeon HD 6750M
    Comparison Specs:
    44C(111F)/56C(133F)
    Fan speed:2200RPM/2650RPM
    DC in: 18W/30W

Gaming:
    58C(131F)/74C(160F)
    Fan speed:2600RPM/4000RPM
    DC in:32W/56W

I believe these charts would be similar to the Nvdia 330M but not the 9600M.I recommend installing gfxCardStatus and Istat to monitor computer conditions and post to help out the community.Basically,reducing the wattage intake in anyway and having an efficient cooling system should provide good temperature results.One quick question,i'm seeing threads of this laptop getting to 100C(212F) but mine has never passed 85C(185F).

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

First of all, NO MACBOOK PRO HAS DUAL GPUs.

Reducing wattage will result in loss of performance, making the point of shelling out 2 grand for a 15" MBP useless.

Apple did a crapjob with the thermal paste; that's why some laptops overheat. Mine idles at 50 degrees flat and never went above 95 degrees when under extreme heavy loads (300 FLAC to ALAC conversions, 2 MKV to M4V, and TF2 all at once).

gfxCardStatus is extremely useful, since programs like uTorrent and Chrome trigger the GPU.

What a normal MBP should be at is around 40 to 55 degrees idle with 2000RPM, and no higher than 95 degrees and 6200RPM.

3. alFR macrumors 68020

yes they do, the current ones have the integrated GPU and the external one (which is what the OP meant).

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Actually, Apple outsourced the work to Foxconn. Foxconn applied the sloppy, wasteful amounts of cheap thermal paste. Apple could tell them to apply proper amounts of high quality thermal grease. Until then, there's AppleCare.

74C under gaming is a GREAT temp. Especially on a quad core laptop. (using Premiere Pro, my 2011 MBP 17" gets to ~80C. Borderline but not a big deal as I don't render too often. For my uses, it stays in between 40~50C, or 38~45C at 3500RPM.)

gfxCardStatus and smcFanControl rock.

The newest, high-end MBPs tax the power source. Indeed, the 17" performs better because the battery supports barely enough wattage to prevent throttling. Even then, sometimes it's still not enough. The 15" will lower its CPU speed because the power supply is just not capable of the watts needed.
    ( http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review...-GHz-quad-core-glare-type-screen.50346.0.html )

It'd be nice if Apple came out with a 110W power supply; then maybe the thing wouldn't throttle... but then, higher temps would still be the norm... but I would, under no circumstance, but the 2.3GHz version. The power supply constraints mean 2.2 can't be maintained...

5. Oxonian3 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you!
    And if the discrete graphics is not needed you can reduce your laptop temperature by 10C and not suffer any performance loss.

6. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

The integrated graphics processing unit is embedded in the CPU. Therefore there is only ONE true GPU.

7. Oxonian3 thread starter macrumors regular

8. ljones macrumors regular

I picked up a Targus Lap Chill Mat. I jut needed something when I'm sitting in bed or on the couch. Not bad, the fans are better than I expected.

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Buying any kind of fan is a waste of money. Period. The CPUs will run from 50 to 95 C depending on what you're doing. Right now they're at 49 for me. When I'm playing Oblivion in Bootcamp, they're at the 90s.

You can't cool that; lighten the computer's load is all I can think of.

Buying a cooling pad that has fans or whatever is a waste as well. Just use a skinny hard backed book or a wooden pad or something; blowing air on the machine will do nothing.

Nothing.