Macbook Pro core 2 duo won't boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trjeep, Jul 26, 2011.

1. trjeep macrumors newbie

I went to start up my Macbook Pro today and when It reaches the Apple icon on the screen, the screen turns a darker gray color and a message comes up that I need to restart the computer (kernel panic?). It happens each time I try to boot up. :confused: I'm not well versed in the Mac world. Can anyone help out with some ideas on troubleshooting this issue?

Thanks!

2. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

are you on lion if so when you here the start up chime hold down the option key it should give you two options macintosh hd or recovery hd with the arrow key navigate to the recovery hd once it is highlighted press enter/return it should give you an option to clean install osx lion choose that option and let it do its thing

if you happened to be on Snow leopard then pop in your recovery disk then when you hear your start up chime hold option key then you should be given the option to boot in to macintosh hd or osx recovery disk with arrow keys get to osx recovery disk then press enter it should give you adoption to clean install snow leopard choose that option and let it reinstall snow leopard if this problem persists you may need to get it seen in the apple store PHEW hope that helped :)

3. barjammar, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

barjammar macrumors newbie

barjammar

Mcbook Pro 2011 Lion Won't Boot - Recover Reinstall or What?

I am seeing the same problem. This started on the 29th of July. As part of this issue an update of my iPhone was interrupted and it has lost all its data. I'll fix that later.
    Meantime, I saw the "reboot and press option key" option to reinstall Lion from backup disk. After that screen I had several options. One to reinstall Lion or the second to recover from a time machine backup.
    Initially I have chosen the OS Lion recovery. If that works then I will consider the time machine backup from one week ago hopefully just after I installed the new Lion upgrade.
    Fingers crossed!!

UPDATE 31st July
    Good news - it works again.

4. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

so did i help anyone with my suggestion hope i did :)