Macbook Pro Core Duo 2.0ghz crashes frequently

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CarterS, Feb 1, 2011.

1. CarterS macrumors newbie

Hey everyone.

I'm having some major issues with my macbook pro. First let me give you the specs:

Macbook Pro Intel Core Duo
    2.0ghz
    2gb of RAM
    250gb HD
    ATI x1600 128mb card

History: No problems until December of 09. Around this time I started getting artifacts, occasional screen glitches, lines appearing, etc. My Applecare had just ended. I took it to the Apple store and paid approx $300 for a logic board replacement.

Everything worked without a hitch when I got it back. No issues whatsoever. Until October '10. Starting in October, my computer begin to randomly do the following:

Screen went black
    Fans began to spin full speed
    No response whatsoever, had to force restart

At first this was intermittent and then began to become more of an issue. It is still incredibly inconsistent. It has stayed on for 12 hours and it has crashed before I can start it up all the way.

I have checked the temperature, this doesn't seem to be the problem.

I cannot find any consistency on when it occurs when it doesn't. I'm not technologically inept. I've done everything from replacing computer parts, soldering pieces, etc. But this problem has me bamboozled.

Please help. I'm trying to hold off until the new MBP release, but I'm a grad student and it really hurts not to have a consistently working computer.

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Is the ram ok when viewed under system profiler? Any errors on the HDs?

3. CarterS thread starter macrumors newbie

RAM checks out ok. Even removed each chip to see, problem still persisted.

I replaced the HD problem still persisted.

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

just googled a bit and it seems that other people who have been having this issue across a lot of models, stretching back to G4s ended up concluding they had a logicboard with humor.