MacBook Pro Core Duo 3GB RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pmartin, Oct 13, 2009.

1. pmartin macrumors regular

I know that the RAM limit in the MacBook Pro is 2GB. However, this is most definitely not due to hardware limitations. Technically speaking, the CPU and chipset can address up to 3.3GB RAM. I also know that the computer won't boot with more than 2GB in it. I have reason to believe that this is therefore a firmware limitation. Has anybody done any work modding MacBook firmware? I am considering working on this myself, but if anybody has information about how the firmware flashing process works, that would be quite useful. I also would particularly like to know if Apple firmware updates are signed or if anything can be flash into ROM.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What model/generation are you talking about.

The current line can handle 8 gig. The prior generation (late 08) could handle 6gig and the generation(s) before were capable of using 4gig.

3. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

I agree. The only one I know is limited to 2 Gb is the MBA, but because the ram chip is soldered to the motherboard.

4. pmartin thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I should have clarified this in the thread rather than mentioning it in passing in the title. I am talking about the Original, revision 1 MacBook Pro Core Duo (Yonah) which came in 1.83GHz, 2.00GHz and 2.16GHz iterations.