MacBook pro core duo owners? Still going strong?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NavySEAL6, Dec 5, 2009.

1. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

Hey, I have one of the original MacBook pro 2.16 core duos, anyone out there still using one of these earlier machines? I'm starting to doubt the reliability of mine as it's had a logic board replacement, battery replacements, and it runs hot. Do you guys think this laptop will last for a longer period of time? I'm curious of everyones opinion because I'm gonna need to get a new computer soon, but I at least need a laptop for use in the uni library. I'd love a new iMac, but I'm afraid if I get one my laptop may stop working and I'll be left without a portable? So what do you guys think? I see people still using iBooks on the forum, but for some reason I don't have faith in this model

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

Still using my 2006 Core Duo Macbook. Does everything that I ask it to do. I do need to have the keyboard/wrist pad area replaced because it is cracked.

4. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Well, you might have the MacBook turned off more and be using it less, when you got an iMac. That might help it go a bit longer, since it won't always be getting banged on all the time, heating up less often, etc.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Unfortunately no, my core duo MacBook Pro died about two years ago and had to be replaced. Otherwise I would still be using it.

6. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

MacBook Pro

Mine (2.16) has had a new disk and a new motherboard under warranty as well as a new bigger disk about 12 months ago. It is reliable now running a big 4D database in 10.5.8 as there is an Apple bug in 10.6 which severely affects the smooth running of the database. The screen is a little uneven in brightness. After all the problems I have had with it, I bought an early 2008 MBP as my main machine and usually (software bugs allowing) use this one only as backup or when doing computations that last more than a few hours. Apart from more speed - not that noticeable with a new fast HD in the 2.16, the main difference is screen brightness and quality.

HTH

7. NavySEAL6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why do you guys think these computers are so unreliable and die so fast? For what we paid for them they should work until we decide we don't want them anymore...theres still people on this forum using powerbooks! Why?

8. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

It was a first generation thing

Why do you guys think these computers are so unreliable and die so fast? For what we paid for them they should work until we decide we don't want them anymore...theres still people on this forum using powerbooks! Why?

They say 'never buy a first generation computer or software programme'. The powerbook G4 was a great machine and had been honed over several years (I had a 800MHz 12 inch and a later 15 inch) whereas the new Intel MacBook Pro had some growing up to do. If you think the MBP was bad, you should have tried the first release of Aperture!

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Some argue that newer Apple products are built to break. Look up "planned obsolesce" - Apple would rather you buy a new product than that your Mac run forever! I don't quite buy into this argument - if my Mac broke after two years, I would look elsewhere for a replacement.

More I think it's just bad luck. Computers can last forever, but some just don't. I had a Compaq notebook ages ago that required constant servicing. By comparison, my two Apples have never had a problem. :)

10. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

My C2D Macbook pro is still going strong. We are still using the first PPC Mac Mini also. Only thing I had to do to it was replace the hard drive once.

11. NavySEAL6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you guys think this machine is capable of lasting for a good amount of time? And if not, do you think repairs would be real costly?

12. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If they're still working, I can't see why they wouldn't last for a couple more years. I hit some bad luck with mine, but if I hadn't I'd still be using it. Sure the new ones are about double the speed, but if you aren't expecting the best performance in the world it should be great for a few more years. As for repairs, yes, those will be costly and if it ceases to function it more than likely wouldn't be worth it to repair it to repair the computer.

13. whitemacbook macrumors member

whitemacbook

While I don't personally use my old 15" 2.0Ghz CD the person who does have it now uses it every day and has no complaints with it.

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I have the first Core 2 Duo machine, which is basically a newer production date, and a 64 bit CPU, but otherwise the same. And I gotta say, unless you need crazy speed, it will last a very long time (excluding the battery). Unfortunately, repairs might be costly. Luckily, if you look on eBay, you can get some really great steals, especially as it gets older and companies work to dump their parts for it.

15. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

I know it isnt a MBP, but my powerbook g4 is still truckin. no major repairs, and just a new battery, and i still use it every day. though i do have heat issues :/ ~140F right now

16. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I have the Core Duo 2.0 original MBP and I still use it as my only computer every day. A new mac would be fantastic but I can't really justify the expense to myself since this one does everything I need it to do right now.

The chance that your laptop could fail would be true even for a brand new macbook pro--that alone is not really a justification to go out and buy a new one if that's what you're looking for. :)

I think the best thing for you to do is back up the contents of your current hard drive regularly and if your Core Duo bites it then get a new one at that point.

17. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I have a 2.16 1st generation MBP, which is still going strong. It's my primary computer so I use it heavily every day. I haven't run into any significant problems so far. (I did have a defective battery, but it was painless and free to get replaced, so no big deal).

I've upgraded the hard drive a few times along the way. I also upgraded the wireless to 802.11n -- If I hadn't been able to do that, I might have upgraded before now.

I've been keeping an eye on new models lately as they've been coming out, but I don't yet see enough to make me jump. I really want to wait for a reasonably cheap, fast, 300 GB SSD. And I want to get a lot more computing power, if possible. Maybe 2011...

If I were in your situation (and I am! ;)), I'd hang on to your current computer for a while longer. Anyway, having two computers is usually a pain in the neck -- you've got to manage some kind of sync strategy or deal with the inconvenience of using one computer for some things and the other computer for other things. Keep the $$$ in the bank so you can spring for the latest and greatest if your MBP does die.

18. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Not experienced any issues with any of my systems.

PowerBook Ti 400Ghz/1Gb/20Gb

still has original factory HD, massive 20Gb.. lol
    that's still running strong and running has OS9.2.2 on it.
    only thing, the white paint is coming off! :eek:

MacBook (White) 2.1Ghz/2GB/128Gb

- has a new topcase cause keyboard failed but it's ok now :)
    - replaced factory HD after it failed within it's first 4 weeks

MacBookPro 15" 2.2Ghz/4Gb/500Gb
    with 8600GT M 128Mb
    - Still running fine with no signs of nVidia death.
    - upgraded HD to 500Gb

MacBookPro 17" 2.6Ghz/4Gb/1000Gb/BD-R with 8600GT M 512Mb
    purchased as a refurb, been problem free! Box says 2.5Ghz.. :rolleyes:
    - upgraded RAM from 2Gb to 4Gb
    - upgraded SuperDrive to slotloading BluRay writer
    - upgraded HD to WD 1Tb - cause I can; doesn't fit in Unibody machines:p

19. excommie macrumors regular

I had one recently (MBP 15, 2.0 core duo), gave it to my nephew. H dropped it, messed up the optical drive and keyboard and sold it to fixit.com for good change. It ran great for over 3 years until it was dropped.

My brother has core duo MB white since 2006, still going strong.

20. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Still good. New battery under applecare. AS 5 thermal paste added on this year.

21. NavySEAL6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I just figured out today it no longer burns DVDs. In total, that makes for 2 battery replacements, logic board replacement, heat issues, and broken superdrive. Oh and lots of overheated shutdowns. Maybe I can get more time out of it by adding some thermal paste and changing the superdrive..

"The chance that your laptop could fail would be true even for a brand new macbook pro--that alone is not really a justification to go out and buy a new one if that's what you're looking for. "

I'm looking for a new computer because this one really isn't good enough anymore..but if I got a new primary computer like an iMac, this laptop would be fine for portable needs, just not all needs. At this point though I'm seriously doubting the longevity of this laptop. I'm gonna bring it to Apple, see what they say. I don't know if I'm still under applecare, but since the logicboard was recently replaced under applecare, I would assume that they may do me a solid and try to fix it...who knows maybe a discount on a new computer or even a free one! Don't people with this many problems usually get compensated?

22. PTA macrumors newbie

PTA

I am still using my 2.0 Core Duo 15" MBP.

It is my everyday computer and aside from horrible battery life (2 defective batteries) - I have had zero issues. Luckily for me, I am near power outlets frequently. I upgraded the ram to 2 gb.

Maybe late 2010 I will be looking for a new MBP.