Macbook Pro Core Duo upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by r.kirkerrr, Sep 5, 2009.

1. r.kirkerrr macrumors member

Hi guys, i've been reading through these forums for a while, not actually contributing, but i was hoping i could get some help with a little situation i have. i have a hand-me-down macbook pro core duo 1.83 ghz from early 2007. i was wondering what would be the best possible upgrade i could do to this machine. i know ram and hard drive are the obvious suggestions, but with a pretty damaged logic board the machine runs a little slower than it should. what do you guys think? the fans definitely need replaced. thanks for any help guys.

2. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

i don't think you can touch anything else besides the hard drive and ram, you can but i wouldn't really advise it.

save up, or just toss in some more RAM in it, and a faster hard drive.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

A "pretty damaged logic board" ? If it's "pretty damaged" it shouldn't run at all, not to mention running "slower."

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Laptops aren't really designed to have upgrades other then ram and HD so there's little you can do. Especially if you have a "pretty damaged" logic board. If you're having problems get the logic board replaced or buy a new laptop. That's about your only options. I'm sure the cost of the repair out weighs the benefit and the money will probably be better spent buying a new one its your money.

5. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

+1

6. r.kirkerrr thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys. but i must apologise for how vague i was.

my logic board had milk spilled on it two years ago, it wasn't very much milk at all, but according to apple, that was why my computer was running so slow. which it isnt really. the computer just slowed down at the start of this year. it started showing the beachball more and more and after a clean install, it has sped up a little, but still, the problem persists. i was just wondering, is it easy enough to put new fans in? the 'milk' according to the apple store has hardened up and started to cause a whir in the fans. which is impossible after two years. it would definitley have happened right after the incident.

also, how much ram can my core duo 'officially' hold?

thanks guys.