MacBook Pro Core Duo?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Quad 2.5 G5 =), Jul 5, 2009.

?

What should I do with my money.

1. Buy MBP (Core Duo).

11.1%
  2. Save $ for Unibody (refurb) 15" or 17" MBP.

66.7%
  3. Do nothing.

22.2%
  1. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502

I sold my 17" PB with the HR screen and I found a first Gen. MBP for a really good price. Would it be good if I bought the MBP? It has a 17" screen, 2.16 Core Duo processor, 2GB ram and an 120GB HDD (7200RPM) and 256MB VRAM. (ATI Card).
    Would the performance of the MBP equal the performance of my stock 2.2GHz Black MB and run most applications (and Windows with games) at the same speed or better than my MB?

2. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

to be honest it would be about the same except the graphics performance will be slightly better. if u dont need better graphics performance, then stick with the blackbook

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You might want to look at getting a refurbished MacBook instead. I've seen the White MacBook with the 9400M graphics card going for $750, I'd be more tempted to get that than the first gen MacBook Pro. And you'll have a warranty with the option to extend it to three years.

4. Quad 2.5 G5 =) thread starter macrumors 6502

I have games that are graphics intensive, so I think I will get it.
    Are there any major problems other than overheating with the first gen 17" MBP?
    Has the overheating problem been fixed? (EFI updates,etc...)

5. amoda macrumors 6502a

I would stay from the first gen mbps. I had one and it was plagued with problems. Heat, whine, graphic glitches, it was a terrible experience.

Edit: Since $$$ is a problem, if you really must, at least go with a C2D mbp, but even then you'll subject yourself to the 8600 problem. Best option is to get a refurb unibody.