Macbook Pro Core i5 Not Charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by d4rklamp, Jul 13, 2010.

1. d4rklamp macrumors regular

Hello, my Macbook Pro Core i5 2.40 GHZ doesn't want to charge. When I plug the magsafe, the screen becomes brighter and the battery icon show that it is plugged, but is also says "not charging". I've read on the internet multiple users are having this issue. But it seems to want to charge when I put it on sleep mode. Anyone has any idea if this is normal or if there is a fix for this?

2. swl7 macrumors member

this might not apply to you but mine actually did this once. Found out that my outlet was not functioning correctly so I just switched the power outlet and it worked. Weird. Or try restarting your computer.

3. Pax macrumors 6502a

Some possibilities
    - power management software corrupted. Try an SMC reset, google "Mac SMC Reset" to find out how to do it
    - bad Magsafe adapter. Borrow someone else's if you can and try it on your Mac. Likewise try your adapter on their Mac
    - bad battery. Open System Profiler, look under Power and check your Mac recognises your battery (the battery has a serial number etc) and that the battery condition is "normal" or "good"

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Another thing to consider is how much charge does it currently have? If it's around 94% or higher, it won't charge when you plug it in. It has to be lower before it will recharge.

5. boko macrumors newbie

Are you using the correct magsafe power adapter? the Core i5 macbook pro uses the 85 watt magsafe power adapter.

If the battery level is 95% or higher, "charged" will be shown instead of "not charging"

6. d4rklamp thread starter macrumors regular

I'm using the magsafe power adapter that came with my Macbook Pro. It seems like I can only charge when I put it on sleep mode. (It will still charge if I wake it). Its just anoying and I don't think its a feature to just charge when its in sleep mode. Want to know if other people have the same issue and how are they dealing with this...

7. Pax macrumors 6502a

Definitely try resetting the SMC, it sounds like it has its firmware knickers in a twist. Here's how
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

If that doesn't work talk to Apple, you should be still be well within warranty.