Macbook Pro Core i7 TS128B SSD details (Toshiba)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jsmbp, Jul 7, 2010.

1. jsmbp macrumors newbie

I had been wondering what kind of SSD is in my Mid-2010 MacBook Pro Core i7, so I popped it open and took a few photos.

The TS128B is labelled a Toshiba THNS128GG4BBAA.
    The controller inside is a Toshiba T6UG1XBG.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fasoola macrumors newbie

3. creeman macrumors 6502

And how do you like it? Some people say that the Apple provided SSD isnt the greatest. What do you think?

4. StephenHuang macrumors newbie

StephenHuang

Super, Thanks for this information and picture:cool:

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

is this not the controller based on the Jmicron JMF618 ?

how is the speed?

6. marcosscriven macrumors regular

Hi

Ordered a new MBP today, and would really like to know what the standard SSD that comes with it is like in your real-world experience

Marcos

7. jsmbp thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure, after posting the facts, and having lots of benchmark data out there, I guess the subjective feedback is useful too :)

I'm satisfied with the Apple SSD -- for me the best parts are not having to wait for the HD to spin up on wake, not having to hear the HD spin up, hopefully longer longevity (laptop drives always died within a year for me), and less beachball time due to the fast random access.

Just the idea of fewer moving parts inside my laptop makes it worth it.

To be honest, the SSD doesn't "blow me away" as I was perhaps expecting after reading people claim it was the "biggest improvement ever", but I have another machine with an Intel X25-M G2 and I have the same impression from that SSD as well.

The only thing that does "blow me away" is the Spotlight performance under 10.6 and the SSD. We're talking milliseconds to search across many gigabytes of source code. I went from 10.5 HD -> 10.6 SSD, so I don't know which of these is the main factor for this.

I'm also very happy with the MBP itself. I have the hires antiglare screen, but I had to increase the font size, so the higher resolution is somewhat negated by this. I guess I'm getting old!

8. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

hi,

do you notice much difference between this and the G2 Intel ?

would you have taken the intel over the toshiba based?

thanks