Macbook Pro cosmetic damage replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dreamer2go, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

Hello
    I just noticed I have a few cosmetic damage in my MBP such as a dent on the display lid (where the glowing apple logo is located)...and the side of the case where some parts is sticking out.

If I purchase some new replacement from ebay or something, and ask apple to replace my old parts with the new parts I bought online (such as a new bottom case), is it a much more economical way to "repair" my MBP?

My college semester is coming to an end, and I would like my MBP to feel new again by the beginning of summer.

I love my MBP, so these cosmetic damages hurts me if I find one!

Thank you

2. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

just so you know, the "lid" is going to cost you about $800 because you have to buy a replacement LCD as well, it comes all at once.

3. Dreamer2go thread starter macrumors 6502a

I meant the backcase
    it's only $99 in powerbookmedic

4. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

Apple might not do it, but you could probably get a private repair place to do it. Call and find out, all they can say is no.

5. Dreamer2go thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah
    another reason for replacing such cosmetic damage is because I want to sell this machine in the future.....(so I can get a new MBP) sigh

6. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

If it really gets beat up, you might wanna consider one of those speck clear hard shell cases for the MBP, they would protect your new lid and the bottom...might be worth it. Or try a new laptop bag

7. Dreamer2go thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah
    I'll probably do that after replacing it...thank you =)

8. DerekS macrumors 6502

Having repaired *all* cosmetic case components on a MBP...twice...I understand your pain. :)

Here is what I can tell you. The back of the lid (with the Apple logo) is an easy replacement. You remove a couple screws and it just snaps off at that point. Do be careful to get the "right one" for your LCD panel, as there are different lids for different manufacturers.

The top case (where the KB and trackpad is) is a simple repair too.

Swapping out the bottom case is pretty tough, and swapping out the bezel/LCD is extremely tough.

Good luck!

9. LongJnSilver macrumors newbie

good source for Mac case parts!

Greetings. I just ordered a replacement lid for my new MacBook Pro (unibody) which was (I think) BITTEN by a cat and deeply scratched on it's edge. Made me SICK to look at. It happened just days after purchase - before I knew there were such things as plastic covers which I WILL buy when the new lid is on.

I got this one - used - but appears to be pristine - for just $129.00 from:

http://www.welovemacs.com

Give 'em a try.
    Blessings,
    LongJnSilver - a Yank "in exile" in Old Blightey :)

The shipping is costing me over $50 to London but I can't bear looking at the scratches, so... it's worth it!

10. LongJnSilver macrumors newbie

ATTN: Derek. Are you speaking of swapping out the lid (with Apple logo) on the MacBook Pro (unibody) being easy -- or on another machine? I must do it -- or have it done -- on my MPP unibody.

Thanks. = LongJnSilver =