Macbook Pro cpu @ 50% non stop!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPlm, Sep 12, 2010.

1. iPlm macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I've got a MacBook Pro 4.1. Problem is that for a few weeks now, Activity Monitor shows 50% User CPU usage, even though there aren't any apps running! And non of the processes use this much! They use 1-2% at most! I force quite background processes but still it shows User % USER at 50-60%! Which sucks, as it drains the battery, the computer used to be quiet, now the fans can't stop at all! Pls, help! :p

Cheers!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Make sure to view all processes. Rebooting usually fixes issues like this

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have a look at Activity Monitor ( Applications / Utilities / ) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

4. iPlm thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! That really helped! I saw a process called DLmpd that was eating 90-100% cpu! I killed it, % user now shows 2 % and my computer is quiet! It was so nervous before... Though I killed the process it started again. Any way to turn it off completely? I googled it, it's some autodesk process, I think because I tried the trial of Smoke 2010 for Mac and, even though it's now uninstalled, this thing stays!

Oh, and restarting didn't solve the problem, because I rebooted 10s of times now and the same thing happens! :D

5. LPZ macrumors 65816

How did you "uninstall" Smoke? The right way is to use the uninstaller provided with the software (if there is one).

[EDIT] In Finder's Go menu, choose Go to Folder, type in /usr and click the Go button. If there is a folder named discreet, trash it! You'll probably need to enter an admin password. I think you can then just ignore the rest of this post.

Look in ~/Library/Application Support and ~/Library/LaunchAgents for Smoke-related files, where ~ denotes your Home folder. Also look in /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons.

If you find a Smoke-related .plist file in either the LaunchAgents or LaunchDaemons folder, open it with TextEdit and post here before you delete the plist.

6. iPlm thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, that worked nicely! Trashed the folder in /usr, rebooted, all looks good :) I don't remember if Smoke had an uninstaller, but I usually don't trash apps when they have one. Anyway, process is gone, MBP running great! Thanks again guys!:D

7. brotherlen macrumors newbie