MacBook Pro CPU fan running no reason (hot), MassStorageCamera using all CPU

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Pollsy123, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Pollsy123 macrumors newbie

My MacBook Pro (Late 2008 17-inch) seems to be VERY busy even when it 'should' be asleep after being left unused for, say, an hour or several hours.
    It becomes hot underneath in middle near hinge (is this where the main chip is processing?) with sound of fan running fast.
    Only have Firefox open.
    Anyway, in Activity Monitor I see that something called MassStorageCamera process is using up to 190 % CPU.
    What is "MassStorageCamera" anyway.

Seems to have started since I upgraded from OS X 10.6.8 straight to 10.8 (or maybe when I updated to 10.8.2).

BTW, in case this is related somehow, I also get the same "Problem with waking from sleep with 10.8.2" as in this thread:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4326602?start=0&tstart=0
    (QUOTE: "My Mac Pro .... won't wake from deep sleep after installing OS X 10.8.2 . I have the default setting set for sleep. The only way to "wake" the machine is to hold the power button down to shut down and then restart.")

2. derb ryan macrumors newbie

hm, do you have a flash blocker for Firefox? Mac OS is horrible with flash, that's what caused my fans to run.

About the other program - have you tried forcing to stop it? Is it a program that runs at startup? You can delete it from the startup list.