MacBook Pro CPU getting too hot.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by silentmike, May 11, 2010.

1. silentmike macrumors newbie

My son just purchased the new MacBook Pro with a i7 processor for his part time videography business. He's telling me that the CPU temp is 185*F or 85*C yet the heatsink temp is 129*F or 54*C when he's editing HD video on a formica desk in 72*F environment.

The 185*F/85*C CPU temp seems to be way too high and the heatsink temp difference seems too great. makes me wonder if it's making good contact with the CPU.

I don't think a notebook cooler would make any difference. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Tom

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's fine. 85 C when doing something that processor intensive is normal.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Normal temps for a loaded i7 machine I'm afraid. It might make your wrists a little warm, but it won't damage any components.

5. Pax macrumors 6502a

Those temps are spot on. It might go up to 95 if he really taxes it

CPU-heatsink temp of about 30 C ties in well with the 35 Watt TDP of the i7. The 25 Watt C2Ds have a figure of about 20 C, so it's about 1 C per watt. I've never seen anything substantially less, even for the guys who replace their thermal paste. (I'd be interested to hear about any)

There are a couple of threads on here about this, here's one
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=908210

Lots of people seeing 95 C steady state temp with the CPU redlined. I think Apple designs that as the setpoint for its fans. But I might be wrong.

Unibody MBPs have always done this. C2Ds and now it seems i5s, i7s. Tell your son it's fine. All within Intel specs and the same as or similar to millions of other MBPs out there.

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Warcraft and Starcraft2 pushes my CPU to about 80°C, anf those apps doesn't even use more than 60-75% of the CPU.

My C2D MBP reached 90-92°C when encoding stuff, I haven't had time to do any video encoding on my i5 yet, but I believe it will push it over 90°C