Macbook Pro crash & not starting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ustahir1, Feb 11, 2016.

1. ustahir1 macrumors member

Hello All,

Having some difficulties with my Mac & need some guidance as to what might be the issue. I have had it previously but then it seemed to have gone away but now it has re-occured, well yesterday.

I was using my mac & the battery had dropped to 0:09mins left & got the pop up to say on reserve. In the time I went to go get my charger the mac had died, or so I thought. I plugged in the magsafe charger & tried to turn on the mac but nothing.

The light on the charger stayed a solid green & the mac was making a clunky noise like it was trying to start but couldn't & the sleep light on the front wasn't acting like normal, it was on but then would go off with the clunk.

The mac is a 2011 model & on OS 10.6.8

I left it alone for a day & have now managed to get it going again however when I started it the date & time were reset to 00:00:00 & the wifi password was also forgotten, other than that the rest all appears as it was previously.

I had performed an SMC reset about a week prior as when I was trying to charge the laptop before the battery wasn't charging kept saying calculating but the SMC fixed it.

From what I have read it could be logic board, battery or RAM, there isn't a genius store close to me so I am trying to see if I can resolve myself especially since it is well out of warranty & will cost me to fix.

2. JohnDS macrumors 65816

3. ustahir1 thread starter macrumors member

Battery health is 84% but unsure how reliable the data is if the battery is a bit off

4. JohnDS macrumors 65816

84% is the percent charged, not the health. If you click on the battery icon while holding down the option key you should see something like: "Condition: Normal". If the battery is failing it should report a condition other than normal.

5. ustahir1 thread starter macrumors member

That 84% was from iStat pro, condition: normal

Just completed a AHT both regular & advanced no issues found.

When I restarted the laptop the wifi network was forgotten & I had to re-enter the password.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

7. ustahir1 thread starter macrumors member

I don't think it is that as I have no issues with video nor it restarting. The thing just turns off completely & then doesn't start back up again unless left for a day or so.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yeah, just throwing it out there.

The symptoms you've listed so far are likely HDD or logic board related. You may need a new battery too.

9. ustahir1 thread starter macrumors member

No worries, all help/possibilities are appreciated!

Aye I'm a little worried about it being the logic board, tonight I am going to run time machine again just to make sure in case it happens again.

Rough idea on how much it'd cost to replace? given the usage I have of it now though I may downgrade to a basic laptop instead of another mac but in the 5 years I've had it, been faultless until now :(

10. Airmaxone macrumors newbie

you can go to ifixit.com for guides on how to replace any components on your mac. you can bring it to a repair shop.