Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bogdan38

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2015
I'm having the following problems:

- after latest El Capitan update, my Macbook Pro (mid 2010) crashes (turns off) during boot.

- I'm unable to boot in safe mode, the only way is recovery mode.

- I've run disk utility with ok results.

- I've done PRAM reset with no effect.

- I'm trying to reinstall El Capitan as a last resort but I'm getting the following error message: "An error occured while preparing the installation. Try running this application again."

Currently I'm really stuck in the middle of nothing, everything I've tried goes terribly wrong and I have no clue what is going on.

Please help,

Thanks.

bogdan38

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2015
Boot into Recovery, reinstall the OS, then restore from your backup.
That's exactly what I was saying...I am trying to reinstall the OS from Recovery, but I get the mentioned error response.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
To get you back up and booting restore your MBP from your backup. Then download the full El Capitan installer from the App Store Purchased tab and let it do its thing.

Gochugogi

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Sandwich Isles
A similar thing happened to me when I updated my i7 Mini to 10.11: crash on startup and was unable to restore in recovery mode. Luckily I had cloned my prior startup disk on an external and was able to run my Mac off that disk. Apparently the disk somehow was damaged and I had to reformat and reinstall. Works fine now but wasted a day I can never get back...

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
That's exactly what I was saying...I am trying to reinstall the OS from Recovery, but I get the mentioned error response.

Apologies, I misread what you put. If you are that stuck then you need a friend with a Mac, download to your friends Mac DiskmakerX from http://diskmakerx.com, also download the El Capitan installer file (or whichever OS you wish to install), and use Diskmaker to make a bootable USB 8GB drive - boot from that on your machine and use that to initialise and reinstall the OS...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.