MacBook Pro crashing constantly (npvhash=4095)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apikot, Jun 6, 2009.

1. apikot macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Got a new MacBook pro end of april, loved it to bits for the first hour, after that it started crashing constantly, and has been since.

I thought it might be a factory problem so I went back with it (Cancom, UK) and after the guys saw it crash, they happily replaced it with a new one.

Got back to the office with the new one, after the leopard movie finished and tried to open up safari ... crash. So I went back to Cancom and both (me and the Cancom guy) of us thought it was the RAM, as it was the only thing that was related to the two (I upgraded to 4gb RAM from the 2gb default), so he changed the RAM and I took off again only to realize it didn't fix my problem.

Since then I've tried all sorts of things found around google but with no joy. For the past month I've been running Win XP on my MBP because Leopard is just unusable (it sometimes crashes every 2 minutes) and the crashes are in no way related. Some of them happen when I just browse, some of them happen when I listen to music, some of them happen when I code (even with wifi turned off).

Windows XP has never crashed on the MBP.

Could anyone please let me know if you've had this problem before, and if so ... did you manage to fix it?

Photo attached.

P.S.: The only thing my Console shows (that is in any way useful) is npvhash=4095

[Edit]
    The lines are not moving, the screen just sits like that and there is nothing I can do to make it do anything, sometimes the lines are vertical. Most of the times they're like in the attached photo, with half the screen blacked out.

Attached Files:

2. celtikmind macrumors 6502

I don't have your problem though I feel for you.

I'm on my fourth MBP and it's going back as well. Apple seems to have serious QA problems with some batches of MBP's. At least compared to the Apple standards I'm used to.

My suggestion for you would be to exchange it again. Good luck getting it fixed!