MacBook Pro crashing/freezing a lot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by savedave, Jan 7, 2012.

1. savedave macrumors newbie

Hi there

I have one of the first intel macbookpro's (old I know!) and it's starting to fail, but I cannot afford to replace it, so I'd like to try to prolong it's life.

It's a 2.16 Ghz Intel Core Duo 15 inch MacBookPro, with 2GB RAM.

A year ago I upgraded from 10.4 to 10.6 (currently using 10.6.8). I have begun to experience more problems than I can take though. I have found the computer freezing or crashing more and more frequently. I took it to the apple store and they said it was running out of RAM - it is currently maxed out at 2GB.

Sometimes when it crashes the screen switches off but the computer keeps running, sometimes it the screen goes weird, with lots of lines everywhere or a degradation of the image that was previously there, but usually it just freezes - I can move the mouse but cannot click on anything - no spinning wheel - when that happens, programmes will usually continue running in the background, so if for example, it happened when running something like compressor, it will continue the encoding, but I will need to force shutdown by holding the power button, before I can actually use the machine.

It will often happen when running memory intensive programmes like compressor, but will also happen at other times when just browsing the internet.

I think it may be something to do with over heating though, as it happens after the computer has been on for a while.

The Apple store said it was because 10.6 was pushing the limit of what the machine can handle, but they also ran some diagnostics and said they think the machine is over heating a little but that it would cost too much to fix the hardware).

If you have any suggestions regarding this I would really appreciate it a great deal. Let me know if you need any more information. I expect it will be possible to provide some sort of logs but I don't know a lot about how to do that.

Thanks kindly,

2. ahdickter macrumors 6502

Honestly, the machine is just getting old. It happens eventually with every computer. It's best to see if you can sell it somewhere and then wait for the 2012 MBP or MBA

3. savedave thread starter macrumors newbie

I was dreading hearing this. Is there nothing can be done? I cant imagine anyone will want to pay for a machine that is crashing loads!

4. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Overheating could be an issue. I'd suggest resetting the SMC and trying to download the software in my signature, should help with overheating. (Of course, there are other apps that do that kind of task, try choosing one eventually).

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Yeah I suppose forcing the fans up could help. I'd also recommend looking at the fan-assisted cooling pads to keep it chilled from underneath - that may prolong its life a little further.

2GB RAM is a bit of a squeeze, so make sure you properly quit (not just close) your applications when you're finished with them (cmd+Q). In System Prefs > Users > Login Items, ensure you've got nothing loading. Shut down at least once a day, rather than always sleeping, so the RAM is cleared out and you benefit from a freshly booted OS.

In Disk Utility do a Repair Permissions and a Verify Disk; the former to hopefully make things a little more stable and the latter to check if the HDD is on the way out.

You could, potentially, try a complete erase and reinstall of the OS, perhaps even reverting back to the factory-installed OS, but honestly it does sound like the machine is just coming to the end of its life. Some will live on seemingly forever, others not, but it sounds like it has had a great life and hopefully served you well.