Macbook Pro Creaking/Cracking (non-unibody)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arisian, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Hello all,

Just a quick comment/question. Has anyone noticed on their MBPs (early 2008) that the case creaks and cracks and makes all kinds of noises that one who paid $2400 for a laptop would not want to hear?

My issue started about 4 months ago and has just gotten worse. I baby my computer so there is no abuse to speak of.

I know the case flexes alot, like any aluminum case would, but its just getting to be so much now that I might have to take it to the genius bar (3 hours away).

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this. I see tons of postings about the plastic Macbooks, but not to much mention of the MBP.

Thanks,
    Arisian

2. aleni macrumors 68020

my macbook air rev B does that. it's very annoying. when i press the bottom of the screen where the hinge's there, it's creaking. fudge! i pay this thing that costs me a leg just to get annoyed by this creaking sound like the old door when i pick up my macbook air from the table.

and my UMBP 17" has creaking sound on the left side of the hinge when i press them. i hear it when i clean it, but not as annoying as the macbook air one.

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

My Early 2008 (purchased April 2008) doesn't creak yet, but like all metal-clad Apple notebooks I've owned (about 4 of them), they eventually do.

But my "creaks" usually come from the screen hinges. As they wear with use, they get noisier. I suppose it's kind of like the doors on a car as it ages...

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I don't have this issues mine is pretty solid unless i try to bend it then it flexes

5. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

What are you doing to make it creak? If I carry my laptop with one hand it does a bit, but that's a bit silly really isn't it - use two hands. :p

6. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

typing, moving it, clicking, etc...

nontheless, CaptainChunk had it right, but my Powerbook started to do it after 3 years rather than 8 months... I try not to pick my laptop up w/ one hand, but thanks for the advice.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Have any WD40 or lube handy? I've never had this problem before, but if it's just a creaking, then perhaps a nice Apple repair person can help you look at it, hopefully lube it up.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...aren't the old MBP's plastic underneath anyway?

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Keyboard is, everything else is aluminum with a plastic gasket