macbook pro CTO dilema

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rachellarissa, Jan 22, 2011.

1. rachellarissa macrumors member

hello world hahaha.

im deciding on the 17' macbook pro for school next year at singapore polytechnic.

i'll be playing black ops , maybe starcraft .
    Is the 2.66 i7 upgrade worth the 267?
    or i'd be happier with the speed upgrade i get from getting a 128gb ssd for the same price as the i7 upgrade?
    and if i have both os on the ssd how much space will i have left?
    can i have one os on the ssd and one os on the hdd that i plan to install in the optibay?

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Depends if you want it or not just get prepared to get beaten with comments saying the 512mb vram is not worth it...blahblahblah. I have the 2.66 i7 15" and I can do Starcraft 2 on High. I dont know what "both os" you are talking about so I will assume Windows and OS X.

Windows 7 32bit takes about 20gb, 64bit about 25gb, OS X is about 10gb. XP is obviously smaller than 7 but im not sure on the size. Yes you can put one os on the ssd and one on the optibay hdd. I have both OS X and Windows 7 on my SSD with some minimal apps and currently have 57gb free on the OS X partition and I did give Windows 7 a 35gb partition because I was trying to install some things. I keep everything else on my HDD.

3. rachellarissa thread starter macrumors member

17' mac comes default with the 512 ram. . .
    how big is your ssd?

4. rachellarissa thread starter macrumors member

is the 128 gb ssd that mac offers for upgrade cheaper or more expensive then ssds sold on the outside market?

5. tjb1 macrumors 68000

120gb OWC Mercury Extreme Pro, it was $240. Make sure if you buy one(Any SSD with Sandforce Controller) to have them flash it with Sandforce 310 firmware before they send it or you will have a bunch of problems.

As far as the 2.66 upgrade, they will beat you to death with that too at this forum.

6. rachellarissa thread starter macrumors member

7. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

The Sandforce chip is the CPU of the SSD drive, it's a brand. These things get their firmware upgraded from time to time.

I think the SSD is a better choice. The difference between and i7 and i5 isn't huge and won't be too obvious in games. CPU performance in games will be bottlenecked by the GPU, especially that 330m. Very little or no performance increase at all between the 512mb and 256mb 330m if you're playing at 1440x900 or 1650x01080. You might want to look at some comparisons at 1920x1200, not sure about that one.

8. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Avoid buying upgrades from Apple, they will take you to the cleaners and back. OWC and OCZ are the cheapest sandforce available but like I said make sure you tell them to flash it with 310 before they mail it.